Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikhild59

Reaction score
Hello all, Brewed a lambic w raspberries in Feb of 16, decided today's the day to bottle. Theres a layer of feta cheese looking funk across the top which i assume is bacteria. I have 2 questions, is this normal pellicle funk and is the fact that the airlock jar dried out a big deal? Appreciate any answers as its my first sour and after 18 months id like to know i didnt ruin it lol

View attachment 1503234631951.jpg

That's pretty typical behavior. Though the fact that the airlock dried out could be cause for concern. Acetic acid producing bacteria need oxygen to convert the ethanol into acetic acid (vinegar), some brett will also create acetic acid in the presence of oxygen. You may be lucky, I once had an airlock go dry for an unknown amount of time and the beer turned out fine. Give it a taste and see.

Tastes pretty good surprisingly, definitely sour, some sweetness left, and bubble gum flavor i think.

Back