Lambic, by Jean Guinard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kai

Reaction score
I'm writing a paper on and brewing a batch of Lambic, or pLambic, for a History, Culture, and Science of Beer course at King's College. I'm trying to get hold of a copy of this book, for obvious reasons, to use as a source. Unfortunately, it isn't in any library systems I have access to, and Amazon is only selling it used (for $100). Do any of you have an idea of how I could acquire a copy of it? Do any of you want to lend or rent me your copy by mail?

Also; do any of you have suggestions for other sources I could use for this project? I'm especially short on primary sources; everything seems to be published in the past decade or two.

Thanks a lot.
-Kai

ps - anyone know the source of the pLambic nomenclature? Do winemakers or distillers make pChampagne or pScotch?

Thanks.

It looks now like I might be able to arrange an interlibrary loan through my university library. I'll keep an eye on eBay listings in case that falls through.

I read the book before brewing my first lambic and really didn't get a whole lot of good information out of it (sorry!). I got more experience by tasting commercial examples and brewing my first one. The book wasn't as good as I thought it would be, or maybe I had high expectations of it. Either way, I got mine from my local library (interlibrary loan, after waiting (and forgetting) for about 4 months).

I just picked up "Wildbrews: Beer beyond brewers yeast..." or something to that effect (book is at home, I'm at work). There is a bunch of information (or so it appears from my first flip) on lambics in the book, as well as information on the Flanders Reds/Browns, etc.

Can't wait to dive into this... I think its fairly new too, so you should be able to pick one up for affordable at the local chain book store?

Kai said:
ps - anyone know the source of the pLambic nomenclature? Do winemakers or distillers make pChampagne or pScotch?

Not sure what you are asking here. What does "pLambic" stand for? Or...

Here is all I could find on a quick 3 minute google:

"On the internet lambic Digest one sees the term pLambic being used, which is short for pseudo-lambic. Again with the point being that real, true lambic is only made in Belgium and nowhere else. If you find this view extreme I hope that reading this article and some of the other writings cited here will help change your mind."

Hmm... maybe i stumbled upon another source (or sources) for you:
http://hbd.org/brewery/library/LmbicJL0696.html

Back