Lalvin EC-1118 for mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RinTheHuman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using this yeast for mead? I have about 10 packets of it and I don't know what to use it with. I know it's a champagne yeast, so I'm hoping it would make for a mead more on the dry side.

Any thoughts?

I just started my first batch of mead using that yeast... seems to be working great!

Tons of action about one bubble out of my valve every 10sec at the 14day mark.

Seems to do good in cooler temps as well, My carboy has been stored in the basement between 56 and 60* F

I used two packets in a 6gallon batch

I like it. If you use it don't add too many things to primary (such as fruits or other flavor additives), add those to secondary. EC-1118 is a very plain yeast, but works like a champ.

Most people say it works so fast that it "blows the aromatics out the airlock" and although flavors will be diminished with this yeast, I don't necessarily believe that is the correct explanation.

Melomel - add fruit or juice after primary fermentation is done, otherwise kind of a waste.

Back