Lalvin D47 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Experimenter

Reaction score
So I have some packets of Lalvin D47 that I bought recently. I heard it is a good yeast for both mead and some traditional grape wines. I have yet to use it, but while preparing a new recipe I was doing a little research on the yeast and found a description of it from Lallemand (the company that produces it) in which part of the description said that when left on the lees, "spicy, tropical, citrus notes develop and the wine is said to have a silky persistence". It's the last sentence of the main description on this page: Lalvin ICV-D47 | Lallemand Brewing

First of all, can someone explain to me what a "Silky Persistence" is? From the use of the adjective silky, I assume this has something to do with the physical mouthfeel rather than with flavor, but WHAT IS silkiness? Is there a good way you can explain it to me... maybe with an analogy or maybe a common drink pretty much everyone has had that can be described similarly as being "silky"? Also, what is "persistence"? Does that just mean the feeling of silkiness hangs around for a bit?

Secondly, has anyone here done this with D47? Does it really produce more spicy, tropical, and citrusy notes from being left on the lees? Do these become prominent flavors or are they just barely there in the background? How long did you have to leave it on the lees for this effect and is there such a thing as too long on D47 lees if you're trying to achieve this effect?

My experience with D47 is constrained to use in meads. I find D47 to pair with my berry meads very nicely. I was less satisfied with it in a traditional. It is a very 'clean' fermenting yeast, with few off flavors if you manage your temperatures.

My Blueberry mead probably is an example of the persistence attribute you are describing, that mead has legs for days on a swirled wine glass. And there is a pleasant mouth-feel for the mead despite it being a bit heavy on the tannins (I let it sit on the berries too long)

despite it being a bit heavy on the tannins (I let it sit on the berries too long)

Thanks for the Reply.

I was curious about the last part of your post though. I am planning my first mead with fruit and was going to start it soon. It's a mix of fruits, not just blueberries, but do you have any tips, especially in regards to how long to leave the mead on it? I was planning on adding the fruit right at the start and leaving it in there throughout Primary (until the ferment stopped or ran dry) and then leave the fruit behind when I siphoned to Secondary (no fruit in Secondary, just in Primary).

The Blueberry was 32# of berries, and it started out with a really nice port flavor that progressed to a nice but very different shiraz flavor.

Primary fermentation was less than 2 weeks, and I should have racked immediately after. I got busy and left it on the berries for another 2 weeks or so.

I have a mixed berry in secondary that I am looking forward to. It's been aging about 3 months and I have high expectations.

Attachments

• 20201219_125318.jpg
    20201219_125318.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
I use D47 as my go-to white wine yeast unless I have a rose or an overly acidic wine, in which case I steer towards 71B. D47 is a great all-around yeast for fruit aromas and not producing H2S if it gets stressed. The yeast isn't really capable of fully fermenting a higher SG wine to dryness, though. Its low alcohol tolerance means it may peter out and leave a residual sweetness to the wine, which is fine if that is the style you are planning to make but it may take some control out of your hands as to when it gives out.

I haven't noticed a particular 'spiciness' for the wines but the wines do seem to have 'fuller mouthfeel' than when I've used other white yeasts.

Last year I split some concord juice between two containers and used D47 on one and V1116 on the other. The difference was remarkable with the D47 wine having much more fruit than the other wine. I hadn't expected much of a difference since concord is a pretty distinctively strong flavor. D47 is a 5-star yeast.

The yeast isn't really capable of fully fermenting a higher SG wine to dryness, though. Its low alcohol tolerance means it may peter out and leave a residual sweetness to the wine, which is fine if that is the style you are planning to make but it may take some control out of your hands as to when it gives out.

I am curious to this statement, as I have had no issues fermenting meads that are upwards of 18%ABV. (SG1.135 - 0.995)

I am curious to this statement, as I have had no issues fermenting meads that are upwards of 18%ABV. (SG1.135 - 0.995)
With D47? Other yeasts like EC1118 are capable of going upwards of 18% abv but D47 isn't even listed (see here) as tolerating over 14% and I found that to be under the best circumstance.

With D47? Other yeasts like EC1118 are capable of going upwards of 18% abv but D47 isn't even listed (see here) as tolerating over 14% and I found that to be under the best circumstance.

I've heard people say that it can go up to 15% (16% rarely)... but that's just what I've heard. I have little to no experience with D47.

I've had it go to 14.8% for a faux ice cider...with no "baby-sitting" and temps in low-mid60s.

My go to - fav yeast!

Cheers & Good Luck!

Back