Lallemand Verdant IPA Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to try this yeast on the Stone IPA.
It has always previously been centennial, but i just check the website and found this ??

FEATURED HOPS
Magnum
Chinook
Centennial
Azacca
Calypso
Motueka
Ella & Vic Secret™

WTF?!
That’s new to me...doesn’t taste any different.
The ruination clone thread had some knowledge

“Technically I think you'd call it version 3.0. As they changed the dryhopping regime after I visited. All the "new" hops are in the dryhop stage I've been told. The base recipe remains the same.”

so I’m guessing all those new ones are dry hops. But weird they put Ella and Vic secret on the same line? Not to mention seems a bit busy

That’s new to me...doesn’t taste any different.
The ruination clone thread had some knowledge

“Technically I think you'd call it version 3.0. As they changed the dryhopping regime after I visited. All the "new" hops are in the dryhop stage I've been told. The base recipe remains the same.”

so I’m guessing all those new ones are dry hops. But weird they put Ella and Vic secret on the same line? Not to mention seems a bit busy
They are probably just blending for consistency. They are targeting a “tropical” but somewhat indistinct hop flavor. Then, if any of the hops in the bill aren’t available due to shortages, they can drop or sub them without anyone noticing.

Strata kegged yesterday.
Didn't dry hop after 24 like most do for bio and haze.
Waited till I soft crashed and its still totally opaque.
Love this yeast.

Pulling a flavour from the Strata or the yeast I can't quite put my finger on. Could be a touch onion/weedy
IMG_20201022_162935.jpg

I definitely haven’t been that stoked with the quality of the Strata I’ve bought the last two years. Last years YVH stuff was really onion/garlic... both times I bought it. Just got some 2020 Pellet and Leaf from Hops Direct. Leaf is pretty solid, pellets are pretty oniony. When it was X331 and year 1 of Strata everything I got was insanely good. Bright fruit with a great dank character without the diesel/plastic or onion/garlic.

It’s in high demand so I’d guess what’s left for homebrewers just isn’t as good as it used to be when it was only grown on one farm. Who knows... when the hop is good it’s one of my favorites.

I`d only had. a few cans of it and loved it.
Cant get it here in the UK so sent off to BeerCo in Australia for some.
Definitely pulling some onion and dried garlic from it, hopefully that will mellow a little as its only a day old in the keg

A bitter I brewed with it, will package it on tuesday I think. Decently quick fermentation rate I think. Looking forward to trying it out.

drCJnF2.png

I tried the gravity sample on an English bitter with this yeast today, very impressed with it so far. Throwing a Columbus APA on 1/3 of the cake and am excited to see how they finish up in the keg/bottle. The bitter will go on my nitro tap and I’ll keg the APA

The krausen on my pale ale hasn't dropped after a week even though fermentation is over. Cool.

I have the same thing with the APA I dumped on the cake. Wasn’t sure the dry hops were going to get through haha

anyone try underpitching this below the rates recommended by lallemand? been liking my results but feel like the esters aren't quite as strong as with an underpitch of LAIII. lallemand recommends 0.5-1g/L, and I've already been pitching at the lower end of that range. in emails with lallemand, they told me they haven't tested much below that, but it may be possible to pitch around 0.25-0.3g/L and ferment on the warmer end and still get good results. was thinking about trying this next time around, but was curious if anyone's already done something similar.

anyone try underpitching this below the rates recommended by lallemand?.....
Yeah, I've gone as low as 0.18g/L in a beer that started at 1.049, and fermented at 25C. Certainly increased the yeast character in the beer and brought out more of what is specific to Verdant's particular isolate. No off flavours, it's a very forgiving yeast.

Yeah, I've gone as low as 0.18g/L in a beer that started at 1.049, and fermented at 25C. Certainly increased the yeast character in the beer and brought out more of what is specific to Verdant's particular isolate. No off flavours, it's a very forgiving yeast.
Did you get less blowoff?

Ok too bad, I did experience alot of blowoff with big pitches, was hoping the opposite.
To be fair I have never done anything more than about 0.75g/L with it, so it probably will be less of a rager than if you've done some large pitches. The Boddies yeast just loves to foam.

awesome, thanks for chiming in.

just to try to address some of the other variables: with that pitch rate did you rehydrate or pitch directly? did you use yeast nutrient? what temperature did you allow it to ferment at?

awesome, thanks for chiming in.

just to try to address some of the other variables: with that pitch rate did you rehydrate or pitch directly? did you use yeast nutrient? what temperature did you allow it to ferment at?
Direct pitch, 0.2g/L old dry yeast late in the boil as nutrient. 25C (77F) the whole way then crashed.

Used this yeast twice so far, made amazing NEIPAs. In the hour long video from Lalamond and Verdant, they recommend top cropping yeast when at about 1.030. I never top cropped before, only collect and wash when kegging. I have kind of given up on that, too much work. So I top cropped and have about 1 ounce of pure white yeast under wort. So easy and so much less work than washing. Any idea if this is enough yeast for a 1.070 OG Pale Ale? When I did collect and wash I always used a lot more than this. It will have been in the fridge for a week. I have time to build it up with starter if necessary. Opinions?

Over the weekend I Brewed up Verdant's Lightbulb XPA.
Had this yeast, so figured I'd try it out (it's not the yeast they use on this beer apparently).

So it'll be a semi hybrid Hazy XPA type beer.

Over the weekend I Brewed up Verdant's Lightbulb XPA.
Had this yeast, so figured I'd try it out (it's not the yeast they use on this beer apparently).

So it'll be a semi hybrid Hazy XPA type beer.
I did something similar yesterday as well. I want a juicy beer but not one that looks like OJ. I've tasted a few lately by some local breweries and I liked them enough to give it a try. I think I may try some biotransformation dry hopping followed by a larger dry hop 3 days later. Hey, it'll be beer and I'll drink it.
Also my first time using Idaho Gem and Sabro LupoMax hops.

Little 4.5% Nectaron/Mosaic beer I made with Verdant that’s been in the keg now for 8 weeks. Still wonderfully aromatic with permanent haze stability. Great yeast for little beers as the added sweetness definitely helps the body. This is by far the best dry yeast for making modern, more fruit forward, hoppy beer.

8FD56CF1-DED5-4AE8-A0EF-ABF14AFA6F28.jpeg

My bitter hasn't cleared more over the two weeks since I packaged it which is a bit annoying. I had been hoping it would drop bright, as I dislike any sort of haze in my bitters and don't use auxiliary finings . Flavour is very good though and the vanilla aroma is interesting.

I did use a new pump though, which might have affected clarity by breaking up break material too much.

Those of you who have made bitters, milds, pale milds etc how have you found clarity once you have packaged it and let it condition etc? Preferably if you don't use gelatin or isinglass etc

IMG_20201105_174001635.jpg

Little 4.5% Nectaron/Mosaic beer I made with Verdant that’s been in the keg now for 8 weeks. Still wonderfully aromatic with permanent haze stability. Great yeast for little beers as the added sweetness definitely helps the body. This is by far the best dry yeast for making modern, more fruit forward, hoppy beer.

View attachment 705996

I agree totally. It’s a great yeast, over the years I’ve used a lot of different UK strains and apart from 1469, this is the perfect balance of being easy to use while having tonnes of character. Carbing up an APA tonight and looking forward to trying it

I ordered a packet of this yeast and it arrived today. Super excited to use half in a simple mosaic blonde and a more legit ipa. But I have a question for you folks. When you purchased the packets, were they hard and tightly vacuum sealed like most (all?) Lallemand yeasts? When I was unpacking my shipment, I noticed that it was loose in the packet, like us05 and the like. Is that how these are packed? Or should I perhaps not use this one and see if I can get it replaced? I couldn't find any holes or tears, or anything spilling out of the packet, it just isn't tightly packed in the packet like all my other yeasts from Lallemand.

I ordered a packet of this yeast and it arrived today. Super excited to use half in a simple mosaic blonde and a more legit ipa. But I have a question for you folks. When you purchased the packets, were they hard and tightly vacuum sealed like most (all?) Lallemand yeasts? When I was unpacking my shipment, I noticed that it was loose in the packet, like us05 and the like. Is that how these are packed? Or should I perhaps not use this one and see if I can get it replaced? I couldn't find any holes or tears, or anything spilling out of the packet, it just isn't tightly packed in the packet like all my other yeasts from Lallemand.
I just checked my pack and it is vacuumed and hard like the other lallemand packs. I would see about a replacement if I were you.

My Tilt isn't always accurate but as of today, not even 4 full days after pitching Verdant, I'm down 5 points lower than projected. If this is correct, that'll be 83% attenuation. I read that attenuation is "medium to high" so I guess I'm on the higher end. I don't want this to come out dry but I'm not there yet. It did take 16-18 hours to kick off but once it did, it went gangbusters and I almost decided to not use a blow off and am glad I did!

My Tilt isn't always accurate but as of today, not even 4 full days after pitching Verdant, I'm down 5 points lower than projected. If this is correct, that'll be 83% attenuation. I read that attenuation is "medium to high" so I guess I'm on the higher end. I don't want this to come out dry but I'm not there yet. It did take 16-18 hours to kick off but once it did, it went gangbusters and I almost decided to not use a blow off and am glad I did!
Ive done over 6 batches and always got around 73% attenuation. How many packs did u pitch a d what og and grainbill?

Tried this yeast out for the first time in a batch that I brewed ten days ago. I went the rehydration route per Lallemand's instructions, but missed the note about using water rather then cooled wort - the yeast was literally crawling out of the class after fifteen minutes. This yeast smells a lot different than most that I've used before - less of a bready/yeasty smell and more of a tropical/wet clay aroma, incredibly pleasant.

I set my temp controller to 67, fermentation took off immediately, and was already starting to slow down after 48 hours. At that point I turned off temp control and then attached a 10PSI spunding valve 24 hours later. The beer has been sitting at 71 since that time and has failed forced diacetyl tests on
day 6 and day 9, but there was a definite reduction on day nine. Prior to heating the diacetyl test samples, they smelled and tasted excellent - I could probably keg this beer now without dry hopping and be completely satisfied.

Going to test again tomorrow and then begin a soft crash assuming the diacetyl has cleared up by then.

Ive done over 6 batches and always got around 73% attenuation. How many packs did u pitch a d what og and grainbill?
I kegged this yesterday and I ended up with 84% attenuation. Much more than I actually wanted but the sample tasted pretty good. I'm thinking maybe all the oxygenating and yeast nutrient (that I don't usually use with dry yeasts) increased it a bit. I have read a number of reviews that stated it was slow to start and yielded only moderate attentuation. 1.063 down to 1.010. Both Beersmith and Brewfather predicted 1.015 FG.
I only used 1 pack of yeast.

I kegged this yesterday and I ended up with 84% attenuation. Much more than I actually wanted but the sample tasted pretty good. I'm thinking maybe all the oxygenating and yeast nutrient (that I don't usually use with dry yeasts) increased it a bit. I have read a number of reviews that stated it was slow to start and yielded only moderate attentuation. 1.063 down to 1.010. Both Beersmith and Brewfather predicted 1.015 FG.

Did you happen to mash fairly low, or perhaps use sucrose in your grain bill?

I did a 1.065 batch, mashed at 150, all base malt, with oxygenation and nutrient which finished right on the money at 1.014.

1.010 is pretty dry for an ale yeast. Any off flavors?

That’s probably hop creep related. What temp did you dry hop at?

Did you happen to mash fairly low, or perhaps use sucrose in your grain bill?

I did a 1.065 batch, mashed at 150, all base malt, with oxygenation and nutrient which finished right on the money at 1.014.

1.010 is pretty dry for an ale yeast. Any off flavors?
I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes. Drinking a tasting of this on day 2 of kegging (1 day at 35 psi) and there are absolutely no off flavors at all. It's pretty much what I wanted at this point. It doesn't taste or feel dry at all and that's odd. I use RO water and follow Brewfather's water profiles (they are not always spot on IMO).

Riwaka/Citra pale ale I did with this yeast 5 weeks ago is drinking great. I definitely get the same softness as 1318 with an additional light vanilla note. I’m not getting the apricot that they mentioned, but that could be the dry hop load covering that up (this is the heaviest dry hop load that I’ve used in a beer yet).

I definitely plan to explore this yeast more in the future. I didn’t get around to repitching this culture in time, but I can see this one becoming a staple in my brewery. It’s probably the least temperamental and best flavor of any dry yeast I’ve used so far.

I dry hopped at day 2 1/2 at 66 and 3 days later a second, larger drop at 60. Held that for 3 days then did an almost 2 day cold crash.

I’d assume the first dry hop introduced some enzymes that contributed to the increased attenuation.

Back