Lallemand Philly Sour - Do I need separate equipment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasteofliam

Reaction score
Hello all,

My question is simple, or so I thought. Do I need to have separate equipment to handle a sour in which I use only the Lallemand Philly Sour yeast? As I understood it after my research, it is only yeast and NOT bacteria, so there is no risk of 'infection' of my equipment. I threw this thought at a buddy with much more experience than I, and he disagreed.

So what's the final verdict? Can I use my normal fermenters, racking equipment, etc without increasing risk of contamination or souring of future batches?

They warn not to copitch it as it can easily be outcompeted by other yeasts, so I considered it safe enough to use my regular gear with it.

The webinar suggested that you treat it like any wild yeast strain. That said, it's a slow starter and, as @Elric says, it will be quickly outcompeted by whatever other yeast you might subsequently pitch.

I did a batch with Philly sour in one of my SS chronicals then just did another batch of clean beer after with no noticeable issues so far. I did soak in incredibly hot PBW for a while between uses.

They advise to not even harvest and repitch cause it’s so easy to out compete??

Willing to bet you’d be fine.

An interesting yeast for sure.

Back