Lallemand Kolsch Pitching "Q"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kartracer2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am going to use Lallemand Kolsch yeast for the first time in two beer kits that I bought. One is a Alaskan Amber clone (Eskimo Amber)(OG aprox 1.057) from MB, the other is the Imperial Porter from NB (OG = aprox 1.090). After doing some research on that yeast it looks like that one pack "each" is not enough yeast to pitch. So,, I'm thinking I'll use both packages on the AA clone first and then put the porter on the resulting yeast cake.
Plan "B" is to just save some slurry from the AA (say like 8 - 10 fl. oz.) and pitch that on the Porter.
I don't have a stir plate or a beaker for making a starter so that's not on my list. (that and because I have never made a starter in my life and there's a slight fear factor):eek:
So what would you folks do? Is there a plan "C" that would be better?
Is there any thing else I should know about that yeast? I have read that it's a slow starter, is that true?
FWIW, date code is 10-2021. When would that have been made/packaged?
Thanks for any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions,
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B,

Oops!! I must have had a brain fart.o_O:rolleyes:
It's not the porter that I'm questioning the yeast with.
It's a German Alt, (NB kit, OG 1.053).
Many pardons please. The "Q's' still apply though.
Cheers,:mug:
Joel B.

I've used it a couple of times. The first time I used one package, and it did indeed start slow; thought the resulting beer was excellent. Like you, I read here on HBT that that Koln has a low cell count, so rather than take another chance--I may not get lucky twice--I pitched two packets, rehydrated. The lag time in this one was pretty much normal and in line with other dry yeasts. I haven't kegged it yet, but it smelled great while fermenting.

Back