LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Need my next Voss Brew. I’ve brewed an IPA, “Pilsner” and a “MaiBock”. Kept slurry of each. Any suggestions? Would a stout or ESB work?

Need my next Voss Brew. I’ve brewed an IPA, “Pilsner” and a “MaiBock”. Kept slurry of each. Any suggestions? Would a stout or ESB work?
I've done quite a few porters with Voss, and I've been happy with every one of them, so I think it'd work well on a stout.

Just finished fermenting a stout with Voss. Mostly a dry Irish stout, but with some wheat and all centennial for the hops (clearing out the scraps beer). It hasn't cleared yet, but my impression is that it leaves the bitterness from black patent alone, emphasizes the wheat slightly and doesn't hide the hops at all. It's not a bad mashup. I feel like it would go really well as a yeast for an export stout, maybe even a pseudo-tropical stout, so I guess I have to try those soon.

I was thinking adjusting my dry stout (guiness clone) recipe to make an extra or foreign extra but use cascade hops. ?

I was thinking adjusting my dry stout (guiness clone) recipe to make an extra or foreign extra but use cascade hops. ?
I feel like that would work well. Just tasted my gravity sample post cold-crash but before it's fully carbed. Slightly nutty from the wheat, just a hint of sweetness, you can really taste the entire grain profile in this one. It did not come out with honey, citrus or mango notes at all, and I detect fewer fruity esters than Wyeast 1084 in this particular brew. ymmv, but I think it's a solid choice for an american stout, and makes a nice clean dry irish as well.

Been meaning to report on my Voss experiment. This is what I am calling my Winey Norwegian Blonde. That is, an American Blonde ale base with an additional gallon of chardonnay grape must, fermented with Voss at around 90F. Firstly, the Voss seems to have fermented with a very clean profile. Not 100% sure as the chardonnay flavor is prominent. The drinking experience itself is unusual - each mouthful starts with very much a wine flavor and mouthfeel, but finishes like a beer. Kinda of a strange sensation. It does make for a very good hot weather beverage. Thinking about doing a merlot/porter combo next.
20200701_212019.jpg

I have kind-of a noobe question.
I have yet to use any form of Kveik yeast I have no temp control other than the swamp cooler trick and I just went through that with a Dunkel-Heffe and not going to do that again until the temps drop back a bit. I got lucky on that because I wanted to get the banana esters any way. So rather than trying to keep things cool I thought I'd try this Kveik dry yeast
OK, planing a 1.074 ish "Cream Ale", (yeah I know). Will this yeast work OK @ 80*+/- ambient? I plan to pitch @ 80+ and wrap fermenter with a blanket. I don't want to trade one problem for another as really don't have a way get to 90*+ either. Speed is not so much an issue though a short ferment would be something new also. Will attenuation suffer at those temps?
Thoughts, ideas?
Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.

I have kind-of a noobe question.
I have yet to use any form of Kveik yeast I have no temp control other than the swamp cooler trick and I just went through that with a Dunkel-Heffe and not going to do that again until the temps drop back a bit. I got lucky on that because I wanted to get the banana esters any way. So rather than trying to keep things cool I thought I'd try this Kveik dry yeast
OK, planing a 1.074 ish "Cream Ale", (yeah I know). Will this yeast work OK @ 80*+/- ambient? I plan to pitch @ 80+ and wrap fermenter with a blanket. I don't want to trade one problem for another as really don't have a way get to 90*+ either. Speed is not so much an issue though a short ferment would be something new also. Will attenuation suffer at those temps?
Thoughts, ideas?
Thanks, :mug:
Joel B.
Pitch the yeast at 90 - 95 and let it ride

I'm using this yeast (for the first time) in a 1.052 pale ale tomorrow. Planned on pitching about 5g in this and saving the other 6g for a slightly bigger NEIPA I have planned. We'll see how it goes.

On a different note, if it ferments this fast, when are people adding dry hops for biotransformation? After 1 day? 2 days? Anyone have any experience with this?

On a different note, if it ferments this fast, when are people adding dry hops for biotransformation? After 1 day? 2 days? Anyone have any experience with this?

If you pitch 5 grams from the packet at about 90F, you may not even have two full days of fermentation. Mine finished completely in 40 hours and I pitched about half the packet. I make sure all my flame-out hops make it to the fermentor (in my case the kettle), and after 24 hours I transfer to a keg to get some natural conditioning. You should be safe adding hops at 12 to 24-hours after pitching, but any longer and you may be risking oxidation.

If you pitch 5 grams from the packet at about 90F, you may not even have two full days of fermentation. Mine finished completely in 40 hours and I pitched about half the packet. I make sure all my flame-out hops make it to the fermentor (in my case the kettle), and after 24 hours I transfer to a keg to get some natural conditioning. You should be safe adding hops at 12 to 24-hours after pitching, but any longer and you may be risking oxidation.
Good to know, thanks for the feedback! You think I should pitch less? I'd like to get some of those juicy orange flavors. I'll be pitching warm and room temp can get relatively hot here in SE Asia.

Good to know, thanks for the feedback! You think I should pitch less? I'd like to get some of those juicy orange flavors. I'll be pitching warm and room temp can get relatively hot here in SE Asia.
I can't help you get the orange flavor, because I have yet to get any strong yeast flavors or esters from this yeast, or from Opshaug (WLP 518), pitching at 90F, and letting it ride insulated (usually drops to about 85F). I think your fermentation will have plenty of vigor, even with 2 or 3 grams (per 5 gallons). So far, I've just been getting very fast fermentation with no off-flavors.

Really? I've found that pitch rates greatly differentiate the taste of the finished product. When I've used a lot I get clean beer and when I've just used a tspoon I've gotten that citrus marmelade. Of course fermentation temps also have a great say in the matter but I've exclusively used Kveik yeast for the last two years. I'm starting to know it.
[/QUOTE]
Do you use just a tspoon of slurry or dried? Also, what temp are you fermenting at to get the orange marmelade? Thanks!

Brewed 5 gallons of 1.048 NE pale ale sort of beer yesterday. Pitched half a pack (5ish grams) and saw bubbles in the airlock within three hours. Added biotransformation dry hops this morning and krausen had mostly already fallen (less than 24 hours after pitching). Plan on kegging in two or three days.

Leaving for a quick vacation (I live in SE Asia, not disobeyinging social distancing rules). I'll update once I'm back and drinking.

Waiting for my dried Lalbrew Voss to show up this week and I'll brew a citrusy IPA that's going to go for a second ride on some 2 pounds of local mangoes. Would you guys recommend pasteurizing the mangoes (I can use a sous-vide setup at 67C) or just pitch the pulp as is?

Waiting for my dried Lalbrew Voss to show up this week and I'll brew a citrusy IPA that's going to go for a second ride on some 2 pounds of local mangoes. Would you guys recommend pasteurizing the mangoes (I can use a sous-vide setup at 67C) or just pitch the pulp as is?
I've done a couple fruit beers. If I was you, I'd freeze it first then heat treat it. A lot of fruit contains wild yeast and bacteria and will ferment on its own if given the chance. You might be fine, but I wouldn't risk it if it was me.

Interesting new data from Escarpment about FAN requirements. Traditionally 130ppm FAN has been said to be the minimum for optimal fermentation, but that work was mostly done with lager yeast. Escarpment suggest that some saison strains need 50% more than that, and kveiks weren't far behind. However, you should be getting enough above 1.040 or so (maybe1.045 to be safe), so it's only really below that where you need to worry.

They've got a post to come on micronutrients, which sounds like it may be a different story..

I was worried about Being below 1.050 since I read some stuff. I just bottled a batch at 1.042 OG and it fermented great with no issues

I recently brewed a “Pilsner” 1054 OG fermented with 6tsp of slurry. It came out very good. 100% wyermann Pilsner, well water and Saaz hops. It’s still lagering but drinks great now. Has a slight white wine note and perfect pils flavor.

I recently brewed a “Pilsner” 1054 OG fermented with 6tsp of slurry. It came out very good. 100% wyermann Pilsner, well water and Saaz hops. It’s still lagering but drinks great now. Has a slight white wine note and perfect pils flavor.
I under bittered mine. I definitely need to try another.

This sounds interesting. Care to share more details? What was the hop schedule like? How about fermentation temps?

This sounds interesting. Care to share more details? What was the hop schedule like? How about fermentation temps?
Very simple. Mashed at 150. Used well water from NY state that is super soft. Added 1g each of chloride and sulfate. 1oz of Saaz at 5 min. Cool to 98. Pitch 6tsps Voss slurry @95 and no temp control just let it finish out in 5 days. Then crash to 40 for a couple days and keg. You could of course add bittering hops but I didn’t. For a 1070 ipa I pitch a tsp of slurry and keep at 95. Great esters and never clears.

Looks delicious... What kind of IBUs did you get from that? What was ambient temp like there in NY when this fermented?

Looks delicious... What kind of IBUs did you get from that? What was ambient temp like there in NY when this fermented?
Didn’t count ibu. Fermented in the basement at 70. Wrapped it in insulation. The beer was around 80 most of the time until fermentation ended.

Has anybody bottled their beer? Just wondering if it carbs up quicker than with typical yeast?.

Joel B.

I finished bottling a WCIPA in June and had fully carbed beer 3 days afterward. I used Voss. 190g of priming sugar and into the fridge. Every bottle (24 750ml) except for two was perfectly carbed. The two that weren’t must have been the last couple, and I had used up the prime in the rest. They were still carbed, but less.

However, I did use a liquid yeast, and just noticed the thread was a reference to dry. Oops! Oh well, Voss is still amazing yeast, dry or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some from NB so I'll have something to report in a few weeks I guess.
I hate waiting for the brown truck. Nearest HB shop is 80 mi away so every thing I get comes on a truck.☹

Joel B.

I’m right there with you. I have to order everything. You’ll be happy with it. its not a miracle but great for those of us who can’t control temps easily. Plus 1 week to a bottle is better than 2 or 3 :)

Yeah, the temp issue is the main reason for me trying it. Short ferment is a bonus at this time. Will probably be my goto for a lot of my brews if it works like I'm reading.
Thanks,
Joel B.

I should get around to brewing with my packet late next week. I plan on using half of the packet into a 4G batch of ~1.050 pale ale. Will try to remember to report back.

Thanks for the replies. I just ordered some from NB so I'll have something to report in a few weeks I guess.
I hate waiting for the brown truck. Nearest HB shop is 80 mi away so every thing I get comes on a truck.☹

Joel B.
Same problem here. I'm the kind of idiot who likes to get up in the morning and decide to brew that day, so planning more than a week ahead to get a liquid yeast and then make a starter 48 hours ahead of time was just not happening... and shipping liquid yeast in summer was dicey anyway... so I've pretty much always been a dry-yeast aficionado.

Everything's different now. I've got jars of slurry from the last three Voss batches, any one of which contains enough yeast for at least three new batches... I need to start drying the stuff just to make it easier to store. If it weren't for wanting to try all the other strains, I'd never have to buy a pack of yeast again.

100% on not being the best planer. I had never used dry yeast until lately. Suprised me how much quicker they seem to start. A lot more "flavors" than the "old days" also. I'm going to try to save some slurry this time too, maybe try to dry some also. Never did any of those thing before,, soo,,,,we'll see.

Joel B.

Has anybody bottled their beer? Just wondering if it carbs up quicker than with typical yeast?.

Joel B.

Be aware that this yeast will attenuate dryer than specified if given the time. While carbed enough to be drinkable after 5 days, it will continue to ferment for weeks after. I’ve only bottled 1 batch so far using Kveik after 5 days when fermentation seem to be complete, and I was in the specified attenuation range. Next time I will give it at least a few more days before bottling, and I will prime on the low side.

Yeah, the temp issue is the main reason for me trying it. Short ferment is a bonus at this time. Will probably be my goto for a lot of my brews if it works like I'm reading.
Thanks,
Joel B.
My 2¢. I’ve only brewed with Voss from TYB, but its one of the most set and forget yeasts I’ve dealt with. Its one of my main summertime strains. My garage can get anywhere from the high 90’s during the day to mid 60’s by late morning. Always ferments clean. Tends to add citrus notes and smells like marmalade while fermenting.

Last edited:
Back