LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some technical advice on Voss Kveik from Lallemand:

Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew® Voss directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation.

The yeast contains an adequate reserve of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary
to aerate wort upon first use.

My brain isn't able to do the math on this -- you're supposed to pitch very very little to express the esters better, something like 14 femtograms (embellishing, but only slightly), so this $165 500g brick will last, what, until the sun dies?
I think it's supposed to be available in homebrew packs as well.

Also, I wouldn't even worry about pitch rate for esters. Escarpment Labs did a study where they found negligible correlation between pitch rate and ester synthesis in a set of kveiks. Though generalizing this to all kveik may be the wrong thing to do, Voss was one of the kveiks studied.

Link: https://www.escarpmentlabs.com/single-post/2019/11/01/The-impact-of-pitch-rate-on-kveik-ferments

That happened when there were no retail packs of New England because there was a long gap between 500g packs and retail packs becoming available, I imagine they've just been unlucky with the virus messing things up.

And right now homebrew retailers are swamped with orders at a time when they've lost staff to self-isolation or needing to care for relatives, I know some that have abandoned weighing-to-order and are just doing standard packs as a way to reduce the time needed to process orders. So they might mess about with repackaging yeast bricks in quieter times but they probably just don't have the bandwidth right now.

And the customers who really want Voss can get a liquid version - White Labs have just introduced WLP519-21 Stranda, Voss and Hornindal never mind the other sources.

Morebeer just started carrying it, so I have a packet on its way. I assume it is going to be very much the same as the liquid version of it that has been around a while and has many brewers singing its praises.

I'll check back this summer after I've made a beer with it.

This yeast is easy to get hold of in sweden.I pitched this earlier today in an IPA OG 1.070.I pitched at 36 Celsius and wrapped a winterjacket around the fermenter.Had to head to work after that and just got back some 9h later.It must have taken off like a rocket.Under the jacket the fermenter was hot 35-36 celsius and very active.I expect this to be fully fermented in another 24-36h.

Morebeer just started carrying it, so I have a packet on its way. I assume it is going to be very much the same as the liquid version of it that has been around a while and has many brewers singing its praises.

I ordered some this AM. I don’t have this strain In liquid.

I assume it is going to be very much the same as the liquid version of it that has been around a while and has many brewers singing its praises.

I think there are actually five strains of yeast in the original Voss, so a commercial version could be any combination of one or more of the strains. I think this dry yeast is three strains. So there could easily be variation between different versions of Voss Kriek. That's from memory though, which is becoming less reliable the older I get.

I think there are actually five strains of yeast in the original Voss, so a commercial version could be any combination of one or more of the strains. I think this dry yeast is three strains. So there could easily be variation between different versions of Voss Kriek. That's from memory though, which is becoming less reliable the older I get.
I did not know that there were five Voss strains. So, I guess we'll just have to try it and report back.

I'm surprised that some enterprising American LHBS hasn't bought a few Kilos and repackaged them in 11 gram packs.

I just picked up a repackaged 11g pack from my online supplier. Canada though.

20200515_090013.jpg

Last edited:
$$$ I don’t know what it would be for the exchange rate, but if memory serves Morebeer was about $4 per sachet

About US$4.60 :
https://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=6.5&From=CAD&To=USD
In the UK the official retail packs are going for around GBP4.30 (including 20% sales tax) which works out at about US$4.20+tax. For comparison Voss is not as expensive as 34/70 but comparable to the other dry lager yeasts like S-189, Diamond etc or Belle Saison.

Ever so slightly late to the party - TX Brewing in Fort Worth is carrying it. Also, Morebeer is, but I tend to go with the LHBS when I can. Yeah, someone already said that.

Ordered some last night. I plan to get a small batch going next weekend when I comes in. 2 Row, 60L and Cascade most likely

I'm anxious to hear how some of the brews have come out, especially some of the more hoppy ales. As a new brewer it is so cool to read about this.

Or the AHA hasn’t thought that far ahead. Hopefully they have.

They didn't...we found out the same day everyone else did. Got on the phone to lallemand and they drop shipped us 8 11g packs a week before big brew.

We're also the reason there's a second recipe this year

Got mine today. I'm drinking my hothead IPA right now, and hoping the dried yeast turns out just as well. Will brew this weekend, I'll post updates afters.

On the hothead note, my beer was fermented out in about 3 days, but if you have the time and patience, giving it a full two weeks will yield a great product. Kveik strains seem to age to perfection pretty durn quick.

I just Brewed a Juicy IPA with Voss Kveik from Lallemand, I pitched it around 3:30 PM by 4:15 fermentation was active and showed vigorous activity. I pitched at 37 celsius

I just Brewed a Juicy IPA with Voss Kveik from Lallemand, I pitched it around 3:30 PM by 4:15 fermentation was active and showed vigorous activity. I pitched at 37 celsius
How much of the dry yeast did you pitch? Ive been doing a teaspoon to a tablespoon of slurry with great results. I wonder if pitching a teaspoon of the dry yeast would have similar results.

How much of the dry yeast did you pitch? Ive been doing a teaspoon to a tablespoon of slurry with great results. I wonder if pitching a teaspoon of the dry yeast would have similar results.
I pitched the Whole 11 gram sachet. No prior rehydration

Back