Lagunitas IPA PM BIAB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
So I converted the clone for the Lagunitas IPA published on the brewing network to Partial mash BIAB with a 19L kettle.

Attached is the bsmx file.

The process of converting consisted of scaling the boil size to adjust for hop utilization, substiting out some of the base malt for 1kg of dry malt extract, sub horizon hops for Magnum and Pilsner malt for american 2 row. I adjusting the quanities of bittering and flavouring hops to maintain the same IBU's when the AA% was adjusted to what my homebrew supplier has in stock.

Sparging will be batch method by dunking the bag into a vessel with the sparge/pre boil top-up water

Here is a run down of the recipe for those folks that don't use beersmith.

3Kg Pilsner Malt
0.59 kg Crystal 10L
0.39Kg Wheat malt
0.37 kg Munich malt
0.25 kg Crystal 60L
11.2g Magnum 14%AA 60min
5.55g Summit 15.8%AA 60min
22.5g Wlliamette 5.7%AA 30min
12g Centennial 10.9%AA 30min
1 Whirlfloc (actually protofloc here) 15mins
1kg LDME 10mins
40.38g Cascade 5.75AA 1min
WLP002
21g Cascade dry hop 5 days
21g Centennial dry hop 5 days

Beersmith calculates the IBU's as 48, est OG 1.060 est Final gravity 1.019, 8.6SRM, abv 5.3%

Feedback on both the recipe and how I converted it to PM is welcome.

Thanks
Q

View attachment Lagunitas IPA PM BIAB.bsmx

>>The process of converting consisted of scaling the boil size to adjust for hop utilization, substiting out some of the base malt for 1kg of dry malt extract, sub horizon hops for Magnum and Pilsner malt for american 2 row.

1 - Unless I overlooked something, I don't really consider this a partial mash if you have 1 pound of DME and the entire grain bill has to be mashed. You might as well call this an all grain recipe.

2 - >sub horizon hops for Magnum
Why? Was the original recipe calling for Horizon? Then why not use them? OR was it personal preference?

3 > Pilsner malt for american 2 row.
Why not use 2 row if thats what the original recipe called for?
Or do you like Pilsner a lot better than 2 row for this type of IPA?

I'm not saying it's a bad recipe, just wondering why you made these substitutions.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes your right this is mostly all grain but I don't have big enough kettle for completely all grain so I sub in some DME, to make up the extra couple of kilos of what would be grain.

The substitutions are soley due to avalibility, you can't get US 2 row in the UK, the cloest thing is pilsner or UK larger malt. The UK pale malts are just too bready and sweet for american craft brew recipes, even if I went for Halcyon or Optic. Pilsner has similar colour and gravity, plus has better diastatic power than UK larger malt. If I had to choose I would go for grain flavours over bread in heavily hopped beers.

I can't get horizon either, so magnum is the closest thing.

Back