Lagers with a slight medical flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstiglich

Reaction score
Hello fellows,
I did two lager batches, that I just carbonated with CO2 and I feel a slight medical flavor.
First recipe was an American Premium Lager,
Water from Reverse Osmosis, with salts to adjust to a Pilsner profile.
20 liters batch with 95% Pilsner malt and 5% caramel 40EBC.
2oz hops total...(20 IBU total) and Yeast was Dry Mouribrew lager...
OG 1.048 and FG 1.011.
I fermented it in a range of 54ºF - 60ºF for 10 days, then I siphon it to secondary at 50ºF for 6 days, and then I move it to 70ºF for a diacetil rest for 48 hours.
Then I move it back to 32ºF for two weeks, and now I just keg it and carbonate it at 12 PSI (Not force carbonation).

My second recipe is a Bohemian Pilsen Lager,
Water from Reverse osmosis, with salts to adjust to Pilsner profile.
20 liters batch with 92% Pilsner Malt and 8% caramel 80EBC.
3oz of hops...(33 IBU total) and Yeast was Saflager W34/70
OG 1.042 and FG 1.009
I fermented it in a range of 58ºF - 64ºF for 3 days, then I changed it to 52ºF-58ºF for 2 days, and then to 48ºF-52ºF for 2 days. then I move it for a diacetil rest at 70ºF for 48 hours, and then move it back to 32ºF for 2 weeks, and now I just keg it and carbonate it at 12 PSI (Not force carbonation).

I just try both beers that has been in carbonation 4 days ago, and I feel like a smooth flavor to medicinal.... I am not sure if it should be caused by a bad pitching temperature (I pitched both at 70ºF), or maybe they need sometime to condition??
What is the typical off flavors of a beer that is too young?
Any recommendations? I am sure it is not an infection, because I cleaned everything with Iodophore.

Any help to support me improving my beer would be very appreciated..these are my first two lagers, and I expect to find the right formula for one of this!

Regards,
Kenneth

Your process looks perfect. Nice job.

RO does not remove chlorine, so you might consider campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite).

Although you did a secondary, you might still be tasting yeast in suspension.

Good luck, sounds like you know what you are doing. It might just take some time for the CO2 to fully dissolve in the beer and the yeast to settle.

Back