Lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibao123

Reaction score
Just finished fermenting lager, can I racking in a corny and still keeping there for lagering? Should I carbonate or not ? Thanks a lot for any one help

Just for clarification, a lager is typically fermented at low[er] temperatures (50°-ish depending on the yeast strain), possibly given a directly rest ( depending on the yeast strain, pitching rates, etc.), then dropped down to near freezing conditions for the lagering phase. Once the lagering phase is completed, you would then carbonate through either bottling or kegging. The lagering phase can be done in a corny if you'd like, as long as you've reached FG prior to lagering.

shibao123 said:
Just finished fermenting lager, can I racking in a corny and still keeping there for lagering? Should I carbonate or not ? Thanks a lot for any one help

I typically ferment lagers for two weeks and then they go into a corny. I then like to let them sit at 35F for about two weeks, and then hook up my CO2 to it. I do the set and forget method so set it ~12 psi and let it go for a min. of 7 days, better 10-14 days, then it is ready. The higher the SG and the IBU's the longer I let it lager

Back