Lagering with basic fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

java230

Reaction score
Im brewing an octoberfest from extract kit, and was wondering if i can lager it with a basic fridge. the directions say to lower the temp by 1-3 degrees per day, and i cant really do that without a temp controller. if i go from primary fermentation at say 60 degrees to putting it in my fridge on the lowest setting would i kill it? i was thinking i could just bump the fridge colder a setting every couple days. i dont have to lager it also just thought maybe i could give it a try if that might work.

Thanks for any help

You ideally want an internal temp of 53F for most lager yeasts, so about 48-50F ambient temp. How are you going to reach/maintain that temp for fermentation??

Also, don't forget you need a diacetyl rest at room temp for 48 hours between fermentation and lagering, ideally once you've reached 75% of FG.

I never ramp down my lagers and they always turn out fine. There's enough thermal mass that if you throw it in the fridge at like 36F after the diacetyl rest, it is going to take long enough to get down to lagering temps that you won't shock the yeast.

Just make sure before you pitch, you either pitch a proper number of dry yeast packets or make a proper liquid yeast starter. Proper pitching rates are very important to a clean lager.

Good luck!!

I managed to get my fridge down to 51F. I used a cheap digi thermometer with a probe and a max/min reader on it. I was able to warm the fridge to 51 without having the compressor turn on every minute.

So I fermented for two weeks and then lagered at normal food fridge temps 34'ishF. My eating habits changed a little during that time.

It was worth the experiment, and would have been better if it were an all grain instead of a coopers pilsner kit with s-23

i used a BB kit, which says to do a primary ferment at 53-59 then lager once SG is stable, for 3-4 weeks, and SG should drop to FG, or can be brewed as an ale between 64-72. i was thinking about starting at ale temps then lagering, i dont have a good way to controll primary temps right now, its in the bathroom which stays about 66-68

The whole dropping the temps down over time sequence is not even remotely necessary at this stage in the game.

i don't think you should use a lager yeast at those high temps.

maybe consider using us-05 and then lager condition for 4 weeks? i dunno, i think you're dammed either way. personally i'd feel better using us-05 on that recipe and then lagering, rather than using the lager yeast at 66-68. the off flavors... heck forget the potential off flavors. i don't think the yeast will work that high.... wait.... the kit says you can do either or? what did they give you for yeast?

The whole dropping the temps down over time sequence is not even remotely necessary at this stage in the game.

i don't think you should use a lager yeast at those high temps.

maybe consider using us-05 and then lager condition for 4 weeks? i dunno, i think you're dammed either way. personally i'd feel better using us-05 on that recipe and then lagering, rather than using the lager yeast at 66-68. the off flavors... heck forget the potential off flavors. i don't think the yeast will work that high.... wait the kit says you can do either or? what did they give you for yeast?

yeah thats what threw me off on the yeast. its Brewfrem Lager, says for lagers or pilsners.

it says the "included yeast will preform well when fermented as an ale." between 64-72 trying to keep it on the low end they say.

i have a fridge in my garage, i can put it on the warmest setting and throw it in there and hope for the best..... or just leave it at highish ale temps.

i didnt catch that it was funky yeast till i was home or i would have just grabbed a us-05, ive had really good luck with that at higher temps.

If you can make do with the garage fridge, find a max/min indoor/outdoor thermometer. Usually for $10 or less at a wal mart. You can stick the wired probe in the fridge and see what values you can get. just reset the max and min temps often so you can get a feel for the correct range that your fridge is giving you. Even test it out before you brew. I found that I had to set my fridge to the warmest setting and then dial back a few hairs to prevent the compressor from over working itself. watch for that.

if you do it as an ale forget the lager conditioning. it's a waste of time and space

northern brewer carries it, says max temp 59.... http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewferm-lager.html

should i go stick it in the fridge? its been pitched already

ohh

i'd give it a try now that you've pitched it. crank the dial to the warmest setting and then dial it back 1/4 inch? after two weeks bring it out for 36-48 hours for the d-rest and then chill it in the fridge for 4 weeks...

sorry man. it's that yeast. i don't know if it's a bottom feeder nor do i know how bottom or top feeding yeasts behave outside of their ranges. why would brewfrom have one specific range and BB suggest that you can go well outside of it? grrr

Anyone else have an opinion? It's going I am the fridge I think. The package for the yeast seems to say 12-15°c

Go with the fridge, but try to get a max/min thermometer, just in case the fridge can't warm up to 50F

You're looking for an indoor/outdoor wired thermometer. The wire is the outdoor selection and most of these types of thermometers have a max temp and min temp reading that you can toggle and delete so you can accurately follow temperature ranges. A really great tool for $10

I threw a thermometer in there after I left the door open for a bit and it's at 62 still. I'll keep an eye on it tonight

Back