Lagering two at once

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
I currently have a pilsner, lagering in my chest freezer. I'm planning on doing an Octoberfest in the next couple of weeks. I wasn't planning on taking the pils out for a couple of months.
Is there going to be any problem raising the temp of the pils while the Octoberfest is at lager fermentation temps?

OG was 51. Total length of time lagering when removed will be about 4 months (about two before temp change and 1 1/2 after assuming two weeks to lagering for the Oktoberfest - will change based on fg readings).

OG was 51. Total length of time lagering when removed will be about 4 months (about two before temp change and 1 1/2 after assuming two weeks to lagering for the Oktoberfest - will change based on fg readings).

What do you mean by "two before temp change?" I'm confused. To simplify, let's just define "lagering" to mean storing at near freezing temperatures after primary fermentation (and diacetyl rest, if applicable) is complete.

So, for a standard pilsner at 1.051, 8 weeks would be plenty of time for lagering. You could even get away with less. So, what I'm saying is, if you have 6 weeks of lagering done on the pilsner when you want to put the O'fest in, you could just bottle/keg the pilsner.

I meant months before change in temp.
I can't keg/bottle because I'm going to dry hop before kegging.
Here's my planned schedule...

March 1 - start lagering pils @ 33
April 15 - start fermenting Okt. @ ~ 50 (don't have recipe yet)
April 25 - resume lagering both @ 33
May 15 - dry hop pils
June 1 - rack to keg / force carbonate
June 8 - enjoy (pils)!

Sept. rack, carbonate, enjoy Okt.

Back