Lagering times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warrior

Reaction score
Drinking my "green" Helles, it's been 4 weeks since it was brewed. Only has been lagered in the keg for 1 1/2 weeks. I forgot it usually needs at least 4 weeks of cold lagering to get that really clean crisp grain taste. How long do you usually let your lagers age after primary till you start drinking them?

Drinking my "green" Helles, it's been 4 weeks since it was brewed. Only has been lagered in the keg for 1 1/2 weeks. I forgot it usually needs at least 4 weeks of cold lagering to get that really clean crisp grain taste. How long do you usually let your lagers age after primary till you start drinking them?

It's normally in the primary for 7-10 days, then I usually do a short diacetyl rest. After that, I normally lager for 1 week for each 8-10 points of OG. For a lighter lager like a helles, that's normally 6 weeks-ish.

It's normally in the primary for 7-10 days, then I usually do a short diacetyl rest. After that, I normally lager for 1 week for each 8-10 points of OG. For a lighter lager like a helles, that's normally 6 weeks-ish.

Yooper that's what I need more time. Luckily three are three kegs aging right now. I've got three Czech Pils that need kegged and also aged. A doppelbock is working on it's second week of fermentation right now. Another Helles is planned for Sunday, using the WL 820 vs the 830 from the last batch, want to compare the strains.

mine are usually good about the same time I forget and quit messing with them. I have noticed that gelatin after your lagering time helps quite a bit-but dont add it too early.

Yooper is right on the timeframe. Its somethin you cant rush-just cant

I had a dortmunder on tap that wasnt right for weeks then I forget and a few days ago-bam- drastic improvement in 2 weeks but none in the previous 3 that I could taste-its strange but true.

oh the lagers turned good once I said screw this-made ales and forgot the lagers-now they are great-they need time. Impatience doesnt help lagers

Yooper said:

I hope I don't get flamed for reposting my question here

I did my first Helles and pitch at 57 or so degrees do I need a diiacetyl rest? Or secondary or can I lager in the keg ?

So many questions so little beer

I hope I don't get flamed for reposting my question here

I did my first Helles and pitch at 57 or so degrees do I need a diiacetyl rest? Or secondary or can I lager in the keg ?

So many questions so little beer

It's not really flaming. It's just not really best practice to hijack someone else's thread. Especially when you've already posted your own thread. Post it once and you're much more likely to get good consistent answers.

It's not really flaming. It's just not really best practice to hijack someone else's thread. Especially when you've already posted your own thread. Post it once and you're much more likely to get good consistent answers.

I don't mind your question posted here to my original question. Fermentation temp in the low 50's and allowing sufficent time to lager the beer seem to be the most important part of making a good lager. I get impatient at times but the best flavor tends to come between 4 to 6 weeks of lagering time after the primary for most regualr strength lagers. My Czech pils is starting to get the smooth character with a nice clean bitterness after 3 weeks, will improve a bit more in the next several weeks. Luckily I brew large batches so there will be plenty till my next batch is ready in six more weeks.

Czech Pils has an awesome flavor right now, It's was brewed the beginning of Dec and seems to be at it's peak flavor. Brewing another batch on Sun.

Czech Pils has an awesome flavor right now, It's was brewed the beginning of Dec and seems to be at it's peak flavor. Brewing another batch on Sun.

my next lager is a "bohemian" lager with WPL 830

made the starter, look like everything was going good, then when it was donre the room smell like egg farts and I didn't seem to have that much yeast at the bottom.

im crashing it now hopefully I have some good yeast hope tp brew sunday as well

:off:
Hey my wife lost a camara at the york factory, during the video at the start tour of the a couple years ago im still ma about it

my next lager is a "bohemian" lager with WPL 830

made the starter, look like everything was going good, then when it was donre the room smell like egg farts and I didn't seem to have that much yeast at the bottom.

im crashing it now hopefully I have some good yeast hope tp brew sunday as well

:off:
Hey my wife lost a camara at the york factory, during the video at the start tour of the a couple years ago im still ma about it

Ya mean the Harley tour? I take it for granted having it here in my backyard.

Latest posts

Back