Lagering Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubadour

Reaction score
I'm new to lagering and thought I'd ask the experts...

I have a Munich Dunkel in day 4 that just started showing signs of activity this morning. OG was around 1060. Fermenting at around 50*. I was thinking of transferring to a keg after 2 weeks to let lager for a couple of months. Do you recommend transferring to another keg after lagering to get it off the yeast cake, or just dispense and toss out the first couple of pints?

What are your lagering techniques?

Thanks.

I leave all beers, lager and ales, on the cake for a month. For lager, after one month, I rack to secondary and use gelatin to clear it, then rack to a keg for a couple of months of cold aging.

The gelatin step is optional and I don't always do it. If you aren't that concerned about having crystal clear beer, skip that step and avoid the risk of oxidation that comes from racking. In that case, just rack straight to a keg (if you are kegging) or to your secondary vessel for aging.

Back