Lagering Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I finally have a setup where I have complete temp control. I am dipping my toes into lagers. I have a chronical fermentor and brite tank. My question is around the process. I understand you ferment for 2-3 weeks raise temp to do a diacetyl rest. Then drop to lagering temps.

First question. Can I dump the yeast as I do with an ale during primary?

Second question? Can I move my beer to my brite tank (using closed transfer) prior to the lagering phase and will this be ok?

Finally can I lager under pressure. So can I put Co2 on the beer during the lagering phase while it is in the brite tank?

I was going to say yes to all 3, but I wasn't sure of a brite tank. Had to look it up, basically a big keg. Yea you can carbonate while lagering, I'd say most people do when they are done with primary fermentation. Toss it in a keg, hook it up to gas, and chill it until its lagered/they are ready to drink it

I was going to say yes to all 3, but I wasn't sure of a brite tank. Had to look it up, basically a big keg. Yea you can carbonate while lagering, I'd say most people do when they are done with primary fermentation. Toss it in a keg, hook it up to gas, and chill it until its lagered/they are ready to drink it
Thanks!

I've got a noob question. What's the benefit of transferring to a brite tank vs straight into a keg?

For me and the lagers I have a glycol chiller and my brite tanks are setup to be hooked up to my chiller. So I can do a closed transfer from fermentor to brite tank. I can then can manage the temps.

Back