lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jota

Reaction score
hello,
i am trying to brew Itsok kolsch from joy of brewing. it recommends a 55 to 65 lager in the book for the beer. I can however, do a 40-50 degree lager in my garage. so what do you think.... put it in the garage for a few weeks, or just do normal conditioning between 65 and 75

jota said:
hello,
i am trying to brew Itsok kolsch from joy of brewing. it recommends a 55 to 65 lager in the book for the beer. I can however, do a 40-50 degree lager in my garage. so what do you think.... put it in the garage for a few weeks, or just do normal conditioning between 65 and 75

As long as your fermentation is done you can lager it as cold as you like, if fermentation is not done and you are using a lager yeast you could do it at your garage temps as long as 75% of you fermentation is done.

I have a honey kolsch that was completely fermented out in the primary for 3 weeks with an American Wheat yeast lagering at 34º right now.

ok i'll check gravity today and then see what to do. the krausen has already dropped.

Back