Lagering question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The extended times for lagering would probably benefit from a transfer to a secondary fermenter.

The secondary is basically unnecessary. Give it extended time in the primary (particularly an oxygen impervious container like a glass carboy). If you go through a d-rest (if necessary), it should be ready for cold crash in two or three weeks (with proper pitching rate). The cold crash is for kegs. If bottling, ferment as normal, optional d-rest, call it done when gravity bottoms out and bottle (no need for extra yeast).

That age old argument "Secondary is unnecessary" but I still do it for lagers, I bulk lager for 1 wk per 10 gravity points (1050 = 5 wks) then bottle
With lagers it really clears the beer. U could bottle lager but I prefer not to.
To do or not to do a d-rest is a different Argument but it doesn't hurt.
Whatever u decide sanitize well

It's a kolsch beer. Been in primary about a week. Want to lager it for about a month. Didn't think I was a good idea to leave it on the yeast for so long.

Back