Lagering pilsner lager, bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_bushman_

Reaction score
Hi,
right now am doing a diacetyl rest for pilsner lager that is nearly finished in primary.
I was considering next steps and was wondering if this would be a good plan>
- after diacetyl rest at 18 degrees celsius, add dextrose for priming and bottle
- cool down over 20 days from 18 degrees celsius to near freezing
- keep at near freezing for couple of weeks

My main point is to have enough yeast for priming. But am a but curious if I dont do the cold crash after diacetyl rest, can I still get a clear beer? What do you do when you ferment / prime lagers in bottles?

You can do either, to bottle after it's done fermenting and lager in the bottle, or to lager first and then bottle.

What I would probably do is a hybrid- let it finish fermenting and after the diactyl rest stick it someplace near freezing for a week or two, to clear up more, and to start the lagering process (NOT reducing the temperature gradually), then bottle and allow it to carb up.

Then, put the bottles in cold storage until served.

Your going to have plenty of yeast for priming even after lagering. Be sure that you do not add the priming sugar until it's time to bottle!

I would be careful assuming you will have enough yeast left in suspension for priming.
I have looked at samples of well lagered beer under a microscope and found there wasn't a single yeast cell left in suspension.
What I do is transfer to secondary after primary/diacetyl rest (2-3 weeks) and lager for however long you feel fit.
When it's time to bottle I make sure to suck up some of the fine yeast sediment from the bottom of the secondary vessel and mix it up with the priming sugar in the bottling bucket. Bottle condition for 4-6 weeks. Works like a dream.

If you're worried about it, you can always add some dry yeast (CBC or champagne) with your priming sugar at bottling time

Back