Lagering Narziss fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donnydrywall

Reaction score
Hello, I am about ready to transfer my primary Oktoberfest (50 degrees) into the secondary and do the diacetyl rest at 68 degrees for 2 days. I am going to put it in a freezer with temp control. What I don't get is the recipe (kit from brewers best and doesn't say anything about the diacetyl rest) says to lower the temp 1-3 degrees a day until you hit the 34-42 range. Do I start lowering the temp from 68 or can i bring it down to 50 then start? First lager ever. This will be in a carboy and bottled after the lagering time is finished.
Let me know.
Don

You'll want to do the diacetyl rest BEFORE racking.

Then, after the diacetyl rest, rack the beer and begin the lagering process. So, you'd be at 68 degrees when racking, then you can lower the temperature 5 degrees per day until you're at lagering temperature.

Thanks Yooper. You have helped out a ton!! Have you ever used Star Anise to flavor beer? Not as a main flavor but a subtle addition? If so, how much and what beer style would you recommend it with?

Back