Lagering in Kitchen Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antler

Reaction score
Ow many of you guys have fermented and lagered your beers in your kitchen refridgerator? I've been wanting to do a lager for a while now, but don't have the space right now for another refridgerator. I was thinking of doing a small 2.5 gallon batch and fermenting/lagering in my kitchen fridge. Not sure what type of fermenter I could use though...

You can get 3-gal glass fermenters pretty commonly & pretty cheaply. It'd be perfect. Or get a $5 food-grade bucket w/ lid from a big box home improvement store, drill and grommet the lid, and you're good to go!

Ow many of you guys have fermented and lagered your beers in your kitchen refridgerator? I've been wanting to do a lager for a while now, but don't have the space right now for another refridgerator. I was thinking of doing a small 2.5 gallon batch and fermenting/lagering in my kitchen fridge. Not sure what type of fermenter I could use though...

I hope you can get the fridge up to the mid 50's for this^^^

I am doing my Kölsch in a fridge. Kept it in the 60s for fermentation using a $7 timer to run it for a half hour ever 4-6 hours (depending on the outside temperature and fermentation activity), then flipped it on full to push it down to 38-40 for a cold "lager" phase. All signs indicate this is working well. You won't be able to control the temp exactly, particularly during the fermentation step, but I was able to keep it in a 5° window for the most part.

Obviously the fermentation part won't work if you're using your food fridge... but you could consider doing a Kölsch or other hybrid ale with WLP029 which calls for a mid-60s ferment. That's achievable without a fridge in many setups.

I'll be home for the primary fermentation (I always primary for 10-12 days, secondary for 24+) so I could primary in a swamp cooler of ice water I guess. Secondary I can just stick it in the kitchen refridgerator and forget about it for few months?

I'll be home for the primary fermentation (I always primary for 10-12 days, secondary for 24+) so I could primary in a swamp cooler of ice water I guess. Secondary I can just stick it in the kitchen refridgerator and forget about it for few months?

Is it cold weather still there? It is 94F right now here.:fro:

You want mid 50's to low 60's for a lager. Can you get your house down to 60F now?

Back