Lagering - how much headspace is too much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I've done some searching but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I have a 5 gallon batch of extract fermenting now, and my original plan was to use one of the 5g carboys I have for lagering. However, they are both aging some wine right now and I'd rather not bottle either. I do have a couple 6g carboys - is that too big for lagering 5 gallons? If I have to I'll bottle my Merlot - it will have been aging about 3 months when I'm ready to lager but I was hoping to go a bit longer.

I don't think 1 gallon of headspace is going to cause problems. I didn't even give much thought to it on the last lagering as I don't own a 5 gallon carboy. :confused: Hopefully I'm right, my last batch tasted fine. *shrug*

Do you keg?

If so, just blast some CO2 into your carboy for 30 seconds or so before you rack. This will ensure that the only thing in there is beer and CO2. Airlock it and forget it. :mug:

Do you keg?

If so, just blast some CO2 into your carboy for 30 seconds or so before you rack. This will ensure that the only thing in there is beer and CO2. Airlock it and forget it. :mug:

+1. I do it even with the bucket-like fermenter, plus a quick blast of CO2 just before closing the lid.

I don't keg (yet). Thanks for the input - I plan to rack and start lagering tonight. Guess I'll use the 6 gallon.

Back