Lagering Cooler info needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I seek a particular piece of equipment idea. I want to lager using a cooler. Recently I did see a thread that offered an idea I want to pursue.

It was a particular cooler that accepted a primary fermentation bucket. then, blue ice packs were used to keep it cool.

I seek the thread that will tell me what cooler model is needed.

Thanks

My cooler works with a 5 gallon carboy, so it's probably not the one you're looking for. You could just change the top to hold a 6.5 gallon, though. See my gallery for pics.

Here is my swamp cooler, I fill it to the liquid level in the carboy and add ice when needed. It fits the 6.5 or 5 gal carboys and BB's

11999-082507031.jpg

11999-082507039.jpg

YooperBrew said:
My cooler works with a 5 gallon carboy, so it's probably not the one you're looking for. You could just change the top to hold a 6.5 gallon, though. See my gallery for pics.

If I recall, the thread I seek held a cooler and the 6.5 gal bucket fit within it. Actually, you may have commented within that thread as well.

Unfortunately my internet connection was down for the last couple of days and I lost track of the thread.

Superior - woudl you be able to place a fermentation bucket in there? What brand is your cooler? TY

Get an old chest freezer - the smaller the better. One that don't work. The dump ? Any whitegood store that takes away the old gear. Your fermenter will fit in quite easily. Then use your ice bricks or even plastic bottles of water frozen. Change these daily and you should have no trouble keeping lager temperatures. 12C (whatever tha is in fahrenheit, I don't know ?) Works well here in an Australian summer.

Gammon N Beer said:
Superior - woudl you be able to place a fermentation bucket in there? What brand is your cooler? TY

It's an Igloo Ice Cube MaxCold 70 Roller they make one with out rollers too. but it is handy to wheel full carboys around.
I will check on the bucket when I get home from work.

p2739521p275w.jpg

Back