Lagering/Conditioning In Unitank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piperlester

Reaction score
Hello!

I am pondering the design of my new homebrewery and the question of lagering and conditioning came up.

My current design has space for kegs ready for consumption, but nothing for longer term aging (i.e. bock, higher grav stouts, etc). I am thinking of 3 unitanks with glycol cooling to allow space for fermenting/carbonating prior to kegging.

Using something like a Spike Unitank, if one does a trub dump, is there any reason to not lager/condition the beer in the unitank? It is easier for me to accomodate additional fermenters than it is to fit cold storage (short of a full reworking of the design), but if there's good reason, I'd find a way to do it better.

Cheers!

Hello!

I am pondering the design of my new homebrewery and the question of lagering and conditioning came up.

My current design has space for kegs ready for consumption, but nothing for longer term aging (i.e. bock, higher grav stouts, etc). I am thinking of 3 unitanks with glycol cooling to allow space for fermenting/carbonating prior to kegging.

Using something like a Spike Unitank, if one does a trub dump, is there any reason to not lager/condition the beer in the unitank? It is easier for me to accomodate additional fermenters than it is to fit cold storage (short of a full reworking of the design), but if there's good reason, I'd find a way to do it better.

Cheers!
Nothing wrong with doing it that way. It's just costly. Cheers

Nothing wrong with doing it that way. It's just costly. Cheers

+1. Big $$$$

But if money's no object, go for it. I think Unitanks are great. You can go all the way from yeast pitch to serving from a tap if your so inclined, without ever having to rack between vessels or stages. I go from yeast pitch to pressure transfer of carbed and conditioned beer into a serving keg with little to no opportunity for oxygen ingress or infection. Takes less time on the cold side too, and cleanup is a breeze with CIP.

The money you spend on hoses and pumps is not insignificant, but the back you save by not trying to lift fermenters and secondaries is more than worth it, especially as you grow older. I love my tank and wish I could justify the expense for another.

Brooo Brother

Back