Lagering at 40 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyjack

Reaction score
I would like to try and brew a lager, however I only have 1 keezer. So once my pipeline is up it will stay 38-42. If I make a lager in my basement I will ferment around 52-54
degrees for 3+ weeks, d-rest 1 week, then go to 40 degrees to lager. Is this temp ok or do I HAVE to be closer to 32?

It can be done, and may take less time than lagering at 32-34 degrees. There's mention of this on a recent thread, can't remember which one, though.

I use my keezer to lager. Set between 36 and 40. I get good results for the most part. When I don't I wouldn't ever say its because I wasn't lagering cold enough.

This is what I am currently doing, although my primary temp is closer to 48-50.

You might notice that with temps 52-54 when you add a couple of degrees from the yeast is starts to get a little warm, something to watch out for.

Also, three weeks before d-rest is probably too much. You still want active fermentation to make the d-rest effective. Depends on the yeast and temperatures of course.

For me with a healthy pitch of w34-70 at 50 degrees ambient, I usually go to d-rest in about 7-8 days.

Just some things to consider.

Thanks for the replies. Yea I forgot about going to D-rest before it fully finishes. Awesome, sounds like I will be lagering soon!

lagering is overrated, just ferment the lager yeast at the recommended temperature and there wont be a huge difference

Back