Lagering and carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newfiebrew

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my first lager and the recipie calls for a 30 day primary fermentation at 55 deg then a 72hr diacetyl rest then a 30 day lager at 35 deg.

So in order to save time can I force carbonate during the last week or so of the lagering step? Can I lager and carbonate at the same time?

Thanks

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to. It wont affect the flocculation of sediment (unless you are carbing through the diptube). I do 24hr force carbs, so really at any point while the beer is @ lagering temps, I could carb it. I dont do this though bc I lager in my chamber which is separate from the kegerator.

I wouldn't primary it for 30 days and then try a diacetyl rest. You need active yeast for a diacetyl rest.

Pitch at 48 F, ferment at 50 F until the beer is 75% attenuated. This typically takes me 7-10 days for a 1.050 lager. After that, let the beer free rise up to 65 F and hold it there for another week. At this point, you can ramp down or crash to 30 F for lagering. I lager in the primary for about a week, and then rack to kegs with some gelatin and hook up the gas. After another week the beer is clear and carbed and ready to go!

I wouldn't primary it for 30 days and then try a diacetyl rest. You need active yeast for a diacetyl rest.

Pitch at 48 F, ferment at 50 F until the beer is 75% attenuated. This typically takes me 7-10 days for a 1.050 lager. After that, let the beer free rise up to 65 F and hold it there for another week. At this point, you can ramp down or crash to 30 F for lagering. I lager in the primary for about a week, and then rack to kegs with some gelatin and hook up the gas. After another week the beer is clear and carbed and ready to go!

Agreed. Actually the 75% you're looking for is 75% of the way between OG and expected FG, not 75% attenuation. You ought to be close to that in 7-10 days if you pitch enough yeast (double what you would pitch in a similar gravity ale) and oxygenate the wort well.

Back