Lagering and bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houser31

Reaction score
I made two 3 gal. batches and will be lagering it for about 30 days... will I need to add more yeast when I bottle of will it be ok?

As long as your yeast was healthy during fermentation even after lagering for a month you'll have plenty of yeast in suspension to condition your bottles. If I ever felt like there wasn't enough I'd just transfer some of the sediment into my bottling bucket because it made me feel better. rdwhahb.:)

I always add some dry yeast, it's cheap. Forgot a couple of times, lagers were still great and well carbed- probably completely unnecessary.

I made a couple small batches of lager... I did a primary fermentation for 10 days and then racked to secondary and slowly lowered temps to 34 degrees... I'm going to bottle this today and wanted to know if I could just bottle and let it condition for 21 days at 63 degree and it'll turn out ok or condition it and then lager it again for a few weeks in the bottle at the 34 degree mark?

Last lager I did was 8 years ago and an extract and I fermented it like an ale...

I would condition for 3 weeks at 70F. Then you can stick them in the fridge and you're good to go. The longer you can refrigerate the bottles the better, but they've already lagered for a month so you're fine drinking them as soon as they're carbed.

My first lager was lagered in the primary and then bottled. Did not carb.
Second was bottled and conditioned at 70* and then lagered in the bottles and it came out great and took a second place.

Back