Lagering a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rieske89

Reaction score
So I came up with the idea that I should brew a stout but then use lager yeast and lager the stout. Has anyone tried this or heard of it? Thanks.

I have had a few stouts made with lager yeast and a few porters as well.

I have to say lager is not really to my taste in these styles but they weren't terrible by any means, I was just looking for the yeast to leave a finishing flavor I am familiar with in those styles.

Does it like drastically change the flavor? Was the beer more of a crisp taste rather than a traditional creamy taste?

If you dialed back the roasted malts wouldn't it be getting into the realm of Baltic porter? What yeast is normal for a Baltic porter? I'd say go with your stout grain bill and use the Baltic porter yeast.

Does it like drastically change the flavor? Was the beer more of a crisp taste rather than a traditional creamy taste?

Its been a while but most recently was a lagered porter and I found it to be very crisp which is kind of an unexpected thing with porters and stouts IMO.

Let me also say I am not a regular consumer of lagers either, I am a regular consumer of ales and have become very accustomed to a slightly "dirtier" aspect to all the beers I drink.

Ok cool. I think I'm going to try it. I love stouts buy want something different.

Back