lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Just received a beer kit from midwest.. wasn't expecting lager yeast. I really don't have a way to control fermenting temperature. I live in FLA, so the nights might get in to the 50s, but days in the 80s.

Should I ferment outside?
Or Inside... 78ish all day.
Or buy ale yeast ane make a "steam beer"?

If you cannot control the fermentation temps, then you should not use a lager yeast. Even ale yeasts require temps in the mid 60's. I would search for "swamp cooler". That can help you maintain lower ferm temps.

In Florida, a swamp cooler might not work. Those work best in low humidity.

You might consider burying part of it, the ground will be cooler than the air.

It sounds like you are going to run into a host of issues trying to first cool the wort to lager temp and then maintain a consistent temp of 50ish. I would say go for a clean american ale yeast or a hybrid beer yeast like Kolsch.

Put your primary in a plastic tote add water and ice to it. Change it out once or twice a day.

Yep....without a fridge do this! Then go buy a fridge when you are hooked on the hobby. Or you could do as previously mentioned but get a yeast like pacman or even Nottingham that is good over a wide range....there is nothing worse than a warm lager ferment. I'd get the tub freeze some 2 liters and make a clean ale.

Cheers.

Thanks.. I will go with Larry's suggestion and use some ale yeast.

+1 to switching to an ale yeast. Even with a swamp cooler and ice the temperature swings will be to large if you try to maintain an average temperature if 55°F.

Use the swamp cooler with the ale yeast. Add 1 gallon block of ice twice a day. Any more ice than that and the temp swing will be drastic. If you use smaller blocks it's not going to move the temperature much.

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/09/swamp-cooler.html

The top three things that make good beer great are:
1. Sanitization
2. Fermentation temperature control
3. Well understood consistent repeatable processes.

(Note that massive or expensive brew equipment don't make the list; that's just fun)

Back