Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefkdub

Reaction score
I am planning my first lager brew.
Is there any reason to prepare a yeast starter when using dry yeast, or should I just use two packets? If I do a yeast starter, should I do it in my kegerator at fermenting temp?
Any help would be..uh..helpful

My past several lagers, I used 2 packs of S-23. I rehydrated in cooled wort just prior to pitching and have had excellent results.

I've used the 34/70 dry yeast without rehydration with good results. The mfg instructions say you can either rehydrate or pitch dry if the wort is at the right temps. I've made 2 lagers by pitching 2 packs dry and have had good results. I think backing off to one pack pitched dry could work, but I'm scared to try it. Fermentis says one pack to 5 gallons is appropriate (for a normal gravity beer), which should be the thumbs up, but I'm still apprehensive.

I've used the 34/70 dry yeast without rehydration with good results. The mfg instructions say you can either rehydrate or pitch dry if the wort is at the right temps. I've made 2 lagers by pitching 2 packs dry and have had good results. I think backing off to one pack pitched dry could work, but I'm scared to try it. Fermentis says one pack to 5 gallons is appropriate (for a normal gravity beer), which should be the thumbs up, but I'm still apprehensive.

What kind of results did you get with the 34/70? I have read that it makes a drier, cleaner beer than S-23.

What kind of results did you get with the 34/70? I have read that it makes a drier, cleaner beer than S-23.

I've never used any other lager yeast, so I couldn't compare it to another homebrew. However, compared to commercial lagers, it's as clean as I would expect. I drink a lot of stella and it's not dissimilar. I can definitely tell that its a lager yeast versus some blond or light ales I've made., which while clean, aren't the same. Maybe the lager is more spicy tasting. I can't quite put my finger on it - but I recommend it.

O.K. The lager looks good and should be ready to rack in a week. Can I just dump a new batch on top of the yeast cake(sediment and all) or do I need to wash the yeast first?

Definitely harvest the yeast and pitch a measured amount. See the Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator and click the 'Slurry' tab. That'll tell you how much slurry you need to pitch at the proper rate. If you're not going to use it the same day, harvest 25% more than the calculator says, just to be careful.

Bob

Back