Lager Yeast Wash - Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrbuk

Reaction score
See pic. My first attempt at washing yeast and I don't see a nice thick layer of yeast like I expected. Do I just a narrow layer of healthy yeast or do lager yeasts separate differently?

This was the wyeast Czech Pilsner

That looks like mostly trub with the yeast mixed in. I would put all your jars back together in one large jar and mix thouroughly. Then let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour. This will let all the trub settle, but leave the yeast in suspension. Then pour the liquid off into sanitized pint jars. Refrigerate those and then see what you get.

For what it’s worth, I don’t wash yeast anymore. I overbuild my starters and pour a portion off to save for later use.

As previously mentioned...but use a 1 gal jug. Then add another 1/2 gal of boiled and cooled water to the jug and shake it up.

Come back in 10 mins and pour the cloudy liquid (the part that you want to save) into a newly cleaned and sanitized jar. There's no reason to get greedy and try to get all of the liquid from the gallon jug. You could end up transferring trub too.

Cover and place the new jug/bottle in the fridge overnight. Most of the yeast should fall out of suspension by tomorrow.

Second wash, and this is what I've got after leaving overnight.

15238571510971572210309.jpg

Your second washing looks much better! Rather than washing, try making your starters larger than you normally would and pour off some into a sanatized mason jar before you pitch it into your wort. You will end up with much cleaner yeast to store for the next batch.

Back