Lager Yeast - Warm(er) wort onto the cake??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewswithshoes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don't brew a lot of lagers, so not sure what's gonna happen but i will be kegging a lager this weekend and will also be brewing an IPL on the same day. I want to put the IPL wort on top of the previous yeast cake but due to warm florida chilling temps, i can only get my wort down to about 85 - 87 degrees. (i do this often with Voss Kveik, but that's a whole other animal)

I do run the fermentor thru a glycol chiller so can get the transferred wort down fairly quickly into lager ranges, but wondering if that hot/warm of wort at transfer onto the cake will mess up the yeast?

I'm thinking the entire yeast cake is probably overkill anyways, so if the warmer temps kill off some of the yeast no biggie, but also wondering if that initial shock may stunt the remaining yeast causing a longer than normal lag time.

I don't think you will kill the yeast at this temperature. But you won't get a great Lager beer as you may expect, due the overstress to the yeast.

I wouldn't pitch Lager yeast at that temp.

If I can't get the wort down into the 50's I usually leave it sit in the fermentation chamber overnight to knock off the last 20* or so and pitch in the morning.

There's a slight risk of infection doing that, but I've never had a problem with good sanitation.

Back