Lager yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmancuso

Reaction score
I would like to get a starter going now to pitch in a lager tonight. I need help clearing up a few things. Do lagers require double the pitching rates if they are pitched at 70 deg and allowed to cool over night to lager temp? Also on Mr malty when i check my pitching rates for a 5 gallon batch it says i need a 2.6 liter starter and for a 10 gallon batch it says 7.6. Why is there such a big difference in size? Can't I just buy two vials and make two seperate 2.6 liter starters?

Thanks, James

lagers always need about twice the pitch rate of ales. not really sure why double the wort would require more than double the yeast. i would just trust that the geeks that made the calculator new what they where doing. yes you can buy two vials and make two starters and use them both in the same beer.

I would like to get a starter going now to pitch in a lager tonight. I need help clearing up a few things. Do lagers require double the pitching rates if they are pitched at 70 deg and allowed to cool over night to lager temp? Also on Mr malty when i check my pitching rates for a 5 gallon batch it says i need a 2.6 liter starter and for a 10 gallon batch it says 7.6. Why is there such a big difference in size? Can't I just buy two vials and make two seperate 2.6 liter starters?

Thanks, James

No, if you are pitching warm then you don't need to double the pitching rate; proceed as if it was an ale yeast. I got this advice somewhere (probably Mr. Malty).

Why not wait for the wort to cool to proper pitching temp, then pitch the recommended amount of yeast?:confused:

If a 2L starter increases cell count by 100Bn, there is no law saying that a 20L starter will grow 1Tn.

Wouldn't it be more safe to pitch as soon as possible instead of waiting a few hours for the wort to get to 50 degrees? I thought I would be pitching the proper amount of yeast. It is recommended on mr malty to use a 2.6 liter starter for 5 gallons. I'm splitting a 10 gallon batch into 2 6.5 gallon carboys, why can't I just use 1 2.6 liter starter in each carboy? I dont understand why its saying i need 7.6 liters of starter.

Why not wait for the wort to cool to proper pitching temp, then pitch the recommended amount of yeast?:confused:

I usually pitch room temp yeast to the wort at the standard 65-70 ish and then throw the fermenter in the temp controlled freezer and allow them to cool down to the lower temp together.

To make a great lager, you are better off to make a large starter and pitch it at the temp. you want to ferment at. If you pitch warm, then your yeast will start fermenting warm and then produce esters b4 it ever cools to the right temp.

I always put my wort in my ferm. chamber overnight to cool to lager pitch temps. If you maintain proper sanitization, you will have no problems.

My method for 5gal batch lagers~ 1.060SG or lower. Make a 3qt. starter. Ferment, chill and decant, then 3qts. on top of that, ferment, chill decant. Put both in my chamber--pitch when the wort reaches desired ferm. temp.

I'm splitting a 10 gallon batch into 2 6.5 gallon carboys, why can't I just use 1 2.6 liter starter in each carboy? I dont understand why its saying i need 7.6 liters of starter.

its a piece of software not a psychic. it doesn't know you have two carboys. its assuming you have one large 10 gallon carboy.

Back