Lager yeast starter with wheat wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdrum

Reaction score
On brew day, I'm always left with a sufficient quantity of wort to make a starter; either to revitalize a banked yeast or prep the next in line brew. I'm making a Wit soon, and next in line is a Vienna Lager. Will using the Wit wort for my Lager starter present any problems? I'll be double if not triple stepping the Lager starter & the remaining steps will be w DME.

Yeah I always decant, I was thinking more along the lines of acclimating the yeast to a slightly different wort make up i.e.: One that contains a good portion of flaked wheat rather than 100% barley. Then using it in an all barley lager. I know you're not supposed to use sugar in starters, because beer yeast "likes" maltose.

Last edited:
Yeast will go for simple sugerí first, then complex. In beer that means glucose/maltose first, then malotriose. Too much simple sugar and they can start to ignore the maltotriose. But that’s multiple generations to occur. One starter isn’t a big deal. Three might be. Maybe not.

Wit still has barley. You’re fine.

Yeast will go for simple sugerí first, then complex. In beer that means glucose/maltose first, then malotriose. Too much simple sugar and they can start to ignore the maltotriose. But that’s multiple generations to occur. One starter isn’t a big deal. Three might be. Maybe not.

Wit still has barley. You’re fine.

Thanks

Back