Lager yeast pitching temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kef300

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my first lager this weekend. I built a fermentation chamber/keezer out of a chest freezer and a temperature controller, as many of you have, which will allows me to bring down and control my fermentation temperatures.

My question is, after I cool down my wort to room temperature (say 70), can I pitch the yeast and throw the fermenter in the keezer after pitching to bring it down to fermentation temperatures? Will the adjustment/cooling period of the wort in the keezer as it cools down to the set fermentation temperature be enough for the yeast to produce undesired esters and flavors?

Or is it advisable to put the wort in the keezer for a few hours before pitching the yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

you can, i wouldnt.

I cool and make sure i pitch under 50. Pitch alot of yeast as well.

Pitch at the right temp. Have some patience and wait a couple hours and then pitch. my chest feezer can bring the wort temp down pretty fast.

I've only made 5 or 6 batches of Pilsners but I've never had a problem or off taste from pitching WLP800 or S-23 at 65 to 70°F temps. Then I bring it down to around 50°F for a week or 2.

I bring my wort down to the lowest end of the strain, aerate and pitch. Be sure to properly calculate your pitch rate, lagers need a LOT of yeast compared to ales.

Back