Lager Yeast Pitch Temp Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnick54

Reaction score
After brewing well over 100 batches of ale I got a fridge I can use to maintain a temp for my first lager. After reading some threads on the subject and checking the white labs website there seem to be at least 2 different ways to pitch the yeast, besides making a good starter I thinking of going with choice B at 50-53 degrees, with the thought that if I don't see active fermentation after 72 hours I could raise the temp for a day, any Suggestions? Thanks.

From White labs Website:
What temperature should I pitch a lager yeast?

There are two different methods of pitching lagers. Brewers use each method with success, but every brewer has their preference. The easiest method is (A).
A) Start the yeast warm and lower to 50-55F after the start of fermentation. The yeast should be pitched at 70 to 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Once you see active fermentation, bring the temperature of the wort down 10 degrees per 12 hours until the desired fermentation temperature has been achieved. This method works well without forming high amounts of esters because most esters are produced after the first 12 hours.
B) Pitch the yeast at the desired fermentation temperature (48-55 Degrees F). Lager yeast ferment well at this temperature, but they grow very slowly. If you are using this method, understand that you may not see signs of activity for 48-72 hours. If starting the fermentation cold, we recommend you make a 1-2 liter starter per 5 gallons, or if a commercial brewery, a starter 10% of the batch size.

I'm a fan of a big starter and pitching at fermentation temperatures, or even a bit below.

When I make an ale, I don't pitch at 90 and then lower to 70 degrees. For lagers, I don't pitch 20 degrees too warm either. It's done in some cases because the yeast need to propagate without a starter, and usually it'll start up better at 70 degrees than 48 degrees. However, if you drop the temperature too fast you could stall the yeast. But if you don't, the bulk of the fermentation could be finished before you even get down to the optimum fermentation temperatures- 5 gallons of beer takes a long time to cool down!

I make a big starter, stick it in the fridge, and decant on brewday. I chill the wort to 50 degrees, and allow the yeast to raise to 48 degrees and pitch it. It works great!

Just brewed my first lager this weekend. 2 liter starter, pitched at 54, airlock is steadily busy now at 50.

Yes. My lager fermentations look like half-speed ale ferments. Lag time is more than a day even at proper pitch rate, so don't panic. Spoilage microbes are much less active than yeast at lager ferment temp.

Back