Lager Yeast - Fermentation Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
So, I want to attempt my first lager. Unfortunately, I do not have the right setup for lagering (i.e. an environment that keeps a steady 50 F degrees). My father-in-law has a basement that is around 56 degrees during the day (took reading at 12pm).
Do you think it is safe to use a yeast strain like American Lager 2035 (48 to 58 F) or should I use two strains like the American Lager 2035 and California Lager 2112 (58 to 68 F)?

Just put it in a water bath and change out ice bottles twice a day. Btw, 56 is a bit high for my liking if you want a clean tasting lager but it won't destroy it.

The funny thing is, today is some of the warmest weather we've had in a while, but the next ten days looks like it will be cold again. I am just a little worried that once the yeast start fermenting that the beer will reach above 58 F.

well look at it his way. how do you think the first lager makers kept their beer cool? they sure didn't put it in a fridge.

Latest posts

Back