Lager Yeast at ale-ish temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
Hello there,
I recently bought a brewers best oktoberfest lager kit, and to my dismay, I cannot quite fit my fermenter in my keezer (unless i fermented in a corny).

In the instructions, it says you can use lager temps at ale temps, and after reading some stuff online, it becomes a "steam" style of beer. Its been sitting in there for a week, and in my icebath in my brew room, it gets down to about 50, and as high as 62 (I live in AZ). Has anyone ever brewed a beer with lager yeast at ale-ish type temps? I know this goes in between ale and lager temps, and I have no "worry", but I was wondering how it turned out for everyone.

Has anyone used a corny for primary? If so, can you link to a site where I can get a corny post fitting that'll house an airlock?
:fro:
Thanks

There are lager yeasts that will handle ale temp, but they are specific yeasts (ie.White Labs San Fran Lager). Not all lager yeasts can do this without off-flavors.

Those temp swings are probably killer on the yeast as well. Swings of more than 10 degrees probably make for off flavours and stuck fermentations.

I brewed an Oktoberfest with the Oktoberfest/Marzen Whitelabs Lager yeast. My fermentation sat at 60-62 for 3 weeks and I have NO off flavors what so ever. It turned out great, repeated it a month later and it turned out just as good, if not better. If you start getting into the higher 60s then you'll get some off flavors. Perhaps I got lucky, but my buddy who is a pro said that 62 is fine for that yeast.

If you use a san fran lager yeast at higher temps, you will definately get a "steam beer". Anchorsteam uses a San Fran lager yeast.

If you have time, try getting a Kölsch yeast. Though I haven't tried it myself, many people have reported getting lager like characteristics from this ale yeast. Whatever you do, ferment as low as possible.

If you have a corny (and a fridge that will fit it...and a temperature controller) you can ferment lagers in a corny keg. I've done it with good results. All you need to do is remove the air/beer dip tubes and remove the poppet from one of the posts. Then you can fit a 1/2" hose over the open post and use it as a blow off. Be sure to pitch plenty of yeast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a temp controller in my keezer, but my keezer is sized oddly and wont quite fit a 5 gal carboy/ bucket, so I am SOL, unless I get something that will allow me to ferment in a corny keg or fermentation vessel shaped to those dimensions. I don't have room for a separate fridge so that option is out, but the yeast I am using came in the kit. It says on the instructions it can go at ale temps all the way to 72, but they suggest keeping it at 50-59 for lagering, or 64-72 for ale. It was a cheap satchel, and I cannot recall the brand.

But the main question at hand is, how did it turn out for you? Using lager yeast at ale temperatures?

Latest posts

Back