Lager with Kolsch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codym

Reaction score
I'm using Kolsch wyeast to brew a light lager. Because that's all I could get from the LBS. I've had it at 55F for 3 weeks now and am playing with the idea of lagering it at 40 F for another couple weeks. I'm wondering if I will get any benefit from doing this or if I should just go ahead and leave it at the temp it is for another week or so and call it good. I know this is not a true lager yeast, so I might just be wasting my time.

I brew my light hybrid lagers with light malts & WL029 kolsh yeast. It ferments best at 65-69F & when all is said & done,seved cold,it has a nice crispness to it. Thebeer should be fully fermented before lagering.

As long as the kolsch yeast fermented out completely, you won't hurt anything by lagering it. Lagering is just cold storage, it doesn't matter if you used ale or lager yeast prior to this step. I've found that lots of my beers have been improved with extended cold-aging. Beers fermented with neutral ale yeasts even come out tasting like lagers.

Seeing as you fermented with a kolsch yeast at low (for an ale) temps, I'll bet cold aging it for a month or two would make it taste an awful lot like the light lager you were aiming for.

Back