Lager Temps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I know that Lagers need a lower temperature for the yeast to work. I've been told to aim for between 45-60 for adding yeast for a lager. My question is, do I have to get my beer to maintain this temperature for the entire fermentation process, or just during "active fermintation".

I'm going to try an brew a simple lager sometime this week, and I have an old refrigerator that holds a temp well, and I thought that I would just put my entire fermenter in the fridge to ferment. But, after I rack to secondary, do I still have to keep in the fridge at colder temps, or can I let it rise to about 70 degrees, the temp of my basement. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Lagers need to ferment and age cold. The fermentation is going to take longer also because of the low temps. You need to maintain a low temp for the entire process. The fridge will work great, and yes age the beer cold in your secondary

would you suggest 3 weeks in a primary glass carboy, or would you suggest using a secondary as well.

Latest posts

Back