Lager temp control vs room temperature ferment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
How much difference does it make exactly? I ask because I've made a relatively good "lager" but fermented at room temperature due to a lack of resources, basically. How much difference do you think it makes?

Lager yeast performs best at a steady 55*. I usually cold crash down to 48* for two or three months before carbonating. The extended condition time after all is the German word "lager."

At a temp of 60-70 the yeast will still produce beer, but it will also create a lot of fruity esters and not finish as cleanly as style guidelines stipulate. A lager should be crisp and clean with little to no off flavors. I am sure you will make fine tasting beer, but I fear it is not going to be a lager.

[email protected]. on tap: easy virtue blonde, fruity monk belgian wit. primary: American pale ale, American stout, blow your top steam, and heffewitzen

I would say that in all beers, controlling hte temperature of the fermentation has the largest effect on the final product of nearly any step we take. It is very important.

This is doubly true with lagers. Not be mean, but I highly doubt you got a good clean lager profile fermenting a lager strain at room temperature. You have made what is generally called a steam beer. Lager strain through a ton of flavor when fermented at warmer temepratures and these flavors are not in line with the typical lager taste profile (maerzens, pils, helles etc.).

Temperature control will greatly improve the quality of your beer. This is true in the science of brewing, and also from personal experience.

I would say that in all beers, controlling the temperature of the fermentation has the largest effect on the final product of nearly any step we take. It is very important...

this!

Room temperatures aren't even optimal for ale yeasts - unless your room is 55-60F, as active fermentation raises the temp of the wort 5-10F.

Work on temp control, see your beers escalate in quality!

Latest posts

Back