Lager Stall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
I've got an oktoberfest that is now 2 weeks in primary and was at 1.030 down from 1.070 two days ago(have to re check again later today). I pitched 1 packet of Saflager 34/70 and from some researching here seems as though I should have pitched 2 packets. Should I pickup another packet to add at this point or let it do its thing slowly and all will be ok?

total amount of wort was 5.5 gallons if that helps.

Would a diacetyl rest help it pick up the last few points with a temp rise?

Estimated FG was calculated by a member here at 1.017.

Thanks for the help all

Diacetyl rests should not be used until fermentation is almost complete.

As for you gravity...lager yeast takes a bit longer to ferment than ale. I would give the fermentor a little swirl to get your yeast up and active, come back in two weeks and check again. If it's still 1.030 at that point, you'll need to think about pitching new yeast.

Also, I think everyone tends to blow off starters. I'm not sure if you made one or not, but it's critical when doing lagers. You need to use almost 4 times as much yeast for a lager than an ale. So, buying two packs of yeast and making a big starter probably could have prevented this. Just for future reference...

Sounds good, i'll give her a swirl and let it ride for another week or two before checked gravity again.

And yes I did not make a starter :( In the future i'll be sure to take the extra step.

Thanks for the info.

Back