Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abndrew82

Reaction score
Hello

Recently brewed my first lager and it is currently lagering. The guide I followed stated to lager for 4 to 16 weeks the more the better at 31 Degrees.

It has been going for 4 weeks, but this morning I checked on it and it appears to be frozen, is this expected or am I going at too lower of a temp. Planning to leave it for at least 4 more weeks, but hoping it comes out well.

Thanks

Frozen means it's too cold.

Who recommends 31 degrees? The practice of lagering was created by storing beer in caves, which are 55°F.

I was going by this - https://www.morebeer.com/articles/brewing_lager_beer

Allow the beer to lager at 31 °F (– 1 °C) for 4–12 weeks; generally, the longer the better.

Looking at a page from this page it says 45, just went and increased the temp going to get it warmed back up. On that, any reason to not leave fermenter open for a little bit as the heat of garage should help warm faster than just the heating wrap on it.

I think the closer you get to 32 the faster it is suppose to lager/mature. Most lagers get drinkable in the 4 to 8 week range. I lager my beers at 38F and serve at 42F.

Where is your temp probe for controlling your lager chamber? Do you have on the keg or just somewhere inside your chamber measuring the free air? I have my probe in a bottle of starsan to lessen the temp swings.

It is lagering in Speidel fermenter with a temp probe via a thermowell in it. Controlled by a Ink bird.

Seem like that should give a reasonable control of temp. The alcohol in the beer will keep it from freezing solid but it might get slushy.

Moving your temp higher should help, I think I would go closer to 40 though. I would not open the cooler or use the heat pad just let it free ride.

There should be enough alcohol in the beer that it shouldn’t freeze at 31 or 30 for that matter, something is off. The colder you can keep it the better results you’ll get from the lagering process.

Back