Lager pitching rates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanKenobi

Reaction score
I'm brewing a maibock, but I don't have true lagering capability. So, I'm using Wyeast 2112 and will be fermenting around 60 degrees. I'll be making a starter according to Mr. Malty, and I'm wondering if I need to use lager or ale pitching rates. Would love some experienced advice.

Yeah. I noticed the hybrid option after I posted the thread.

I guess what I'm pondering is why the need to pitch so much more with lager yeast. I never thought about it until now. People always mention the temperature, but it seems like it's more about the bottom fermentation than the temp.

Its mostly due to temp. You want an active enough fermentation to scrub out the sulfur and also enough cells to keep esters to a minimum.

This is where I get confused. If it is mostly due to temp, then why do I need nearly double the pitch rate for a hybrid yeast as I would use for an ale yeast that I'm fermenting at the same temp? Also, if it's about temp, then why doesn't Mr. Malty have a fermentation temp field?

This is where I get confused. If it is mostly due to temp, then why do I need nearly double the pitch rate for a hybrid yeast as I would use for an ale yeast that I'm fermenting at the same temp? Also, if it's about temp, then why doesn't Mr. Malty have a fermentation temp field?

Give me a couple weeks to answer that. I'm only through the first two chapters of his Yeast book. All of the answers to your questions are in there I am sure.

I regularly brew lagers although I have no experience with fermenting them at 60F. If you want to use 60F then go ahead and let us know what you find out. Otherwise, I would suggest that it's really not that difficult to keep your primary at around 50F, especially if you're in a cold area. After you brew, put your primary outside until it hits ~50F. At the same time put out a couple of plastic bottles of water. After it hits 50, bring it inside, pitch, put it and the frozen bottles in a box and cover with some blankets. You can switch out bottles every couple of days (kind of a pita, but not really) and you have a true lagering ferm temp. This only works in the winter but seeing as it's February, it looks like you have some time left.

FWIW, I do the exact opposite to lager (keep it outisde in the freezing and put warm bottles from inside my house in the box to keep it from freezing)

Latest posts

Back