lager/pilsner recipe wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sepanik1986

Reaction score
Like stated I'm looking for a good recipe that has been tried and is quite solid. I just ordered a temperature controller to venture into lager brewing and I don't want to mess with trying To make a recipe of my own. I'm a big fan of lagunitas pils if that helps the recommendations. Thanks in advance

Nothing too fancy with Lagunitas Pils when you look at their website, probably 11ish lbs of pilsner malt, and maybe some dextrine malt per 5ish gal recipe, ounce of saaz for bitter at 90min, then another 5 ounces of saaz in the final 30 mins of boil. I've done similar several times, and the keg always disappears.

I have a soft spot for pilsners, always one of my favorite lagers in every style variation. German variation is also very very good!

I use more hops than that in mine. 1/2 lb of saaz. Additions at 3oz at 90, 2oz at 50, 2oz at 15, & 1oz at whirlpool. Grain bill is spot on though.

Nothing too fancy with Lagunitas Pils when you look at their website, probably 11ish lbs of pilsner malt, and maybe some dextrine malt per 5ish gal recipe, ounce of saaz for bitter at 90min, then another 5 ounces of saaz in the final 30 mins of boil. I've done similar several times, and the keg always disappears.

I have a soft spot for pilsners, always one of my favorite lagers in every style variation. German variation is also very very good!

that actually seems pretty decent. when you say 5 oz in final 30 does that mean 5 oz @30? also, when fermenting ive seen numerous ways for the lagering phase being done timewise. how long is lagering done for?

that actually seems pretty decent. when you say 5 oz in final 30 does that mean 5 oz @30? also, when fermenting ive seen numerous ways for the lagering phase being done timewise. how long is lagering done for?

Start with an oz at 30 then an oz at 20 min then 2 oz 10 minutes the 2 oz at 5 minutes of the final boil time. Could also toss in another ounce at flame out if you have it available. Really how much you use for the final 30 is up to you, and how much of the saaz you want to come through, all late additions contribute to flavor and aroma. More is more in that dept as JohnnyO touched on. Also would help to toss in an ounce at 60 min as well. Saaz doesn't have a high AA, so you can really dump them in. Unless your goal is BJCP style coming in at 40-45 IBU...lol 8 total ounce should get you into the 30ish IBU range.

When it comes to lagering I always primary for 4 weeks minimum myself at 10-15 Celsius, then secondary for another 4 weeks. But that totally depends on the beer supply, but I usually wait it out for a full 8 weeks if I have plenty in the pipe line. :D

Back