Lager or is it ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpien222

Reaction score
Ok so I am lead to believe that the only difference between ale and lager is the type of yeast used I.E lager or ale yeast my question is if this is the only defining factor if you did exactly the same recipe followed the same process and only changed the yeast I.E did one with ale year and 1 with lager yeast how differently would they taste to each other and how would the flavour be different ??

Depends on the yeast used. You CAN have bigger flavor differences if you use two different ale strains vs an ale and a lager strain.

It might also be tough to follow the exact same methods because in general lager yeasts will require lower temps during fermentation.

If you did two the exact same and fermented at 62, the ale would likely be much better than the lager. If you fermented both at 52, the lager might be good and the ale may not ferment fully.

Not sure if this even approaches answering your question.

Ok so I am lead to believe that the only difference between ale and lager is the type of yeast used I.E lager or ale yeast my question is if this is the only defining factor if you did exactly the same recipe followed the same process and only changed the yeast I.E did one with ale year and 1 with lager yeast how differently would they taste to each other and how would the flavour be different ??

Yeast strain and temperature make a huge difference in the beer.

Fermenting a lager (with lager yeast) at ale temperatures makes a "steam beer". Some are good, while some are not.

Ale yeast need to be at least 57 degrees or more to ferment, so they aren't used for making lagers (which ferment at 48-55 degrees or so). You can make a pseudo-lager with an ale yeast at 59 degrees, but it will still be fruitier than a beer made with a lager yeast at the proper temperature.

A beer is a LAGER or ALE strictly based on the type of yeast used.

HOWEVER, the LAGERING procedure of taking a fermented beer and conditioning it at near-freezing temps for an extended period of time can be applied to either a lager or an ale to achive the crisp, clean aftertaste most often associated with the lagered style.

So you can have a lagered ale, a lagered lager, but not an aled lager :)

Brewing with a lager yeast at a lager temp is going to give you more crisp, clean brew than any ale yeast at any temp. How much different? That REALLY depends on the ale yeast and what temp you ferment at. An american ale yeast at 63? That would be a subtle difference. Those are "clean" enough fermentors that the malt bill and hops would still be recognizably similar. A Belgian yeast ramped to 80? Totally unrecognizable compared to the lager.

What makes a lager yeast different from an ale yeast specifically is the fact that it can metabolize a specific something that an ale yeast cannot. The fact that they give off fewer esters and generally work at a significantly different temperature is true, but not important for the difference in classification.

Now, a Lager needs to ferment at a lower temperature, generally 45-55 ish or so. It varies a bit between strains just like it does for Ales, which require 58-70ish. Lagers were bred to be good at those temps and they do produce fewer flavors compounds in general if kept at proper temps, however some ale strains also exhibit a fairly clean taste profile if fermented low in their range and lagered (aged at cool temps) for a period of time.

So there is some overlap, and for descriptions on what flavors you can get form what, it really depends on the particular strain and the pitching rate and temperature and temperature fluctuations, etc. It's pretty complex with a few variables to consider, so there really isn't an easy answer. In addition to that, different grain bills and hop schedules can influence what the yeast produce in the final product (which can also change over time too...)

But, if you were brewing, say, a SMaSH (Single Malt and Single Hop) beer and had the same wort and fermented both with proper amounts of yeast at the proper consistent temperature, the only difference being one was a lager and the other an ale, then the difference would be the ale (in general) would give more fruity esters, while the lager would be crisper and cleaner, allowing the hops and grain to show a bit more.

But again, it can be hard to tell depending on the particulars. A good clean ale yeast, fermented to be as clean as possible, might come close to most lager ferments in flavor.

I just took the 1st FG sample of my Hopped & Confused pseudo lager a lil bit ago. I used light malts,German WL029 yeast,& NZ & Czech hops. It tasted quite crisp @ 15 days. But is still cloudy & of course young. but the German ale/kolsh yeast is doing a great job of combining flavors for that certain crispness lagers have. The yeasts' temp range is 65-69F,& it stayed there well past initial fermentation. It went from (1st batch of 2) OG1.055 to 1st FG of 1.016. Gotta knock off a few points yet.
But it does seem to be performing as described. It's supposed to give a clean,lager-like flavor. It certainly is so far.

Lol thanks for that guys so to summarise there are multiple variations to consider like temperature, but in general lager yeast produces a crisper taste which brings out more the hop and grain flavours where as ale yeast tends to bring out more of the fruit characteristics of the hops ? :)

Lol thanks for that guys so to summarise there are multiple variations to consider like temperature, but in general lager yeast produces a crisper taste which brings out more the hop and grain flavours where as ale yeast tends to bring out more of the fruit characteristics of the hops ? :)

Not quite. Some of the fruity flavours are esters produced by the yeast during fermentation. Lager yeasts also produce them but in a more subtle way, unless fermentation temps get out of control.

Seriously, you should go get the book, "Yeast". It's loaded with tons of information. It's not even THAT technical (maybe a bit...) but there is a lot of information on yeast, how it's used in brewing, and what happens during fermentation. It's a very good book!

Back