Lager not clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swingerwc

Reaction score
I brewed a Vienna lager and let it sit at a strict 50F fir 4 weeks and then transferred to secondary glass carboy, completely sterilized of course. Well the thing is, is that I had some mysterious "creamy" 1/4-1/2 inch layer of what I could only guess to be co2 or yeast floating towards the very top. I have pretty decent eyes and what I was looking at seemed to be yeast colony or some kind of microbe that was clinging to one another and when the beer was disturbed by me rotating the glass you could see what looked like a white microbial upsidedown white kelp forest that moved and swayed with the current. Wierd I know. The actual surface looked normal, no growth, residue, etc. First of all does anyone know what this is and second, it eventually disappeared but now my lager is not clearing and is sitting at 33F for weeks now. If this is starch haze or protein haze, why was my beer clear in the primary, but not now? I very highly doubt this is starch or protein haze, i use a wort chiller with 45F water and routinely get to pitching temps in 15 min.

Here is right after i racked to the secondary:
i IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1700.jpg

This is right now roughly 3-4 weeks after the first 2 pics (i know it looks like it is much brighter beer now than the previous pics, but i moved it to a lagering fridge that has some pretty good back lighting. it looks very much the same to me in person as it did right after I racked it into the secondary except no wierd creamy yeast upsidedown white microbial kelp forest:
IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Back