lager-like wild yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shafferpilot

Reaction score
I'm interested in trying to isolate yeast that prefers the lower lager-like temps to see what I find. I am curious if anyone has tried or heard about anyone else trying to isolate cold weather yeast. I was thinking of waiting till late fall and using the agar plate capture method, but then placing the plates into my wife's wine chiller to "incubate", but otherwise following the same methods described in other threads to grow, isolate, and test different samples. thoughts?

smokinghole said:
Its worth a shot but I think the way you get yourself a bottom fermenting yeast is through continued selective pressure forcing them to adapt to 40-50 degree environments.

Over (human length) generations.

yeah, i know it's a long-shot. I'm not trying to rediscover lager, or even hoping to magically find a bottom fermenting yeast. Perhaps finding an ale/sour yeast capable of fermenting cold and slow will reveal new flavors. We shall see....

And yes, I found that and the 20 billion other articles on the supposed missing link to lager... unfortunately that is clogging up any google searches aimed at finding anyone else trying to do what I'm gonna do :(

Ha ha, I doubt we would be so lucky

So, I've enlisted the help of some of my buddies... But I'd like to extend the invitation to all of you. Here is a list of equipment I'm gathering. The cheaper this is to set up, the better; besides, brewing has traditionally been a community affair, right? Anyways, anyone who donates equipment will share in the spoils at the end of the experiment. I can't guarantee we'll have anything special at the end, but there's only one way to find out. If you are interested in participating, just message me and I'll send you my address.

Johnson temp controller or similar, Dorm fridge, Glass jars pref. mason type, 1 gallon growlers (like the glass jugs apple cider comes in), Pyrex lab flasks Erlenmeyer or straight sided, Petri dishes with lids, test tubes pref. with lids, reusable inoculation loops, Glass slides and slips.

Back