Lager Just Wont Quit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizBrew

Reaction score
Brewed a Maibock three weeks ago. I fermented it 2/3 of the way at nice low temps and then brought it inside for a diacetyl rest, thinking that would only take a few days. It has been inside now for over a week at 68-70 degrees. It is still off gassing and bubbling the airlock sometimes as often as once a minute to once every two minutes. Sometimes once every five. I have hit my FG and done two diacetyl tests, the last being a very light tinge of butterscotch flavor. I have already started the starter for the Cali Common I want to dump on the cake from this Maibock. I am afraid that yeast is gonna be pooped out by the time I get finished.

So, question is, should I call it good and get it lagering? I am lagering in a corney in the kegerator, so I am not concerned with bottle bombs. When I bring that down to 38 degrees it should stop, I would think. I know lagers are a lesson in patience but this is getting ridiculous. Every time I take a grav reading or do a diacetyl test I am risking infection. I have hit FG, so it is done but could keep getting lower while burning off that last little bit of diacetyl. I dunno.....what do ye think?

i actually just did an oktoberfest. it fem. about three weeks all at 55. i just lagered it at 34. I would lager it. it has reached its fg.

If you have ANY hint of diacetyl, don't rack until it's gone! It'll get worse with lagering, not better!

In small amounts, diacetyl will present as just a slickness on the tongue or a bit oily in the mouthfeel. If it feels "slippery" at all, continue the diacetyl rest.

If there is NO hint of diacetyl, you can rack and lager.

1. If the FG is steady for 3 days, it's done. The bubbling is just off-gassing.

2. If you want further diacetyl cleanup, why not keg it and leave it at room temp for another week?

3. Re-pitching onto an entire cake is a bad idea. Harvest, wash, and use the correct amount of slurry to avoid over-pitching.

If you have ANY hint of diacetyl, don't rack until it's gone! It'll get worse with lagering, not better!

In small amounts, diacetyl will present as just a slickness on the tongue or a bit oily in the mouthfeel. If it feels "slippery" at all, continue the diacetyl rest.

If there is NO hint of diacetyl, you can rack and lager.

It does feel a little slippery and yes I noticed a slight tinge of butterscotch, so yeah, it may need to keep resting

1. If the FG is steady for 3 days, it's done. The bubbling is just off-gassing.

2. If you want further diacetyl cleanup, why not keg it and leave it at room temp for another week?

3. Re-pitching onto an entire cake is a bad idea. Harvest, wash, and use the correct amount of slurry to avoid over-pitching.

This is sound advice. I think what I will do is rack to my corney tomorrow and leave it at room temp until it stops gassing. I will do one more diacetyl test and grav reading. If it doesn't taste like diacetyl I will stick it in the kegerator. I was hoping to have it ready by May 12 for my graduation party but that may only give it a 2 week lager.....Maybe it will be a Memorial day beer. Is 2 weeks enough for a Maibock/Helles? It was pretty low grav, like 1.063.

Also, I hadn't planned to use the whole cake, probably less than half since it does have 2 packs of Bavarian Lager yeast in there. I don't think I will bother washing though. I am thinking of just dumping most of it, racking on top and pitching my decanted starter slurry. As soon as it takes off I will drop the temp down to the high 50s-low 60s and let er fly. Sound fair?

I wouldn't rack if you're still having issues with diacetyl. Once you rack, you will lower any chance of it "cleaning up". You may have to try repitching via krausening with some fresh wort if it continues.

Forget drinking this in 2 weeks if your yeast is still in cleanup mode. I bottled a cranberry maibock a week or so ago, but it won't be drinkable for at least another 4-5 wks...which is what I planned being that this was going to be a june-july mowing beer. Do you have another beer that's drinkable for when school is done?

*edit* I also let my maibock sit in primary for 5wks. It was done in 3 or so, but I got too busy with school to bottle it.

I did another D test today and it passed. NO butterscotch. A tiny bit of a slick mouthfeel but I' m calling it good. Into the kegerator to lager, probably til memorial day. Anybody think it might be drinkable by the 12th?

I tapped my Maibock last night. It is absolutely FANTASTIC!! Maybe my best to date. Thanks for weighing in all.

Prost!! :tank:

Back